Nutrition Information and Labeling

iamanne
iamanne Posts: 67
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Why is it that some prepared foods do not have the nutirition information listed? They will have all of the ingredients, but won't tell you how many calories etc. Like at Costoc, they have their bread, muffins etc....no nutirtion information. At a grocery store I go to they have some wonderful fresh foods that are prepared, same thing, no nutrition information. I am sure some of these foods are healthy to consume, but they should really tell you. So aggravating to have to do a bunch of research to try and guestimate how many calories might be in something. Luckily I have recently discovered a new store called Fresh & Easy. They have nutrition informaiton on EVERYTHING! They have wonderful fresh prepared foods I can heat up in the microwave and know exactly what I am eating. Why don't all businessed do this? Why dont they have to???

Sorry to rant but I am quite frustrated about this.

Replies

• I have found that too, and I hate it. However, food items that are made in the store, such as bakery items, if you ask the people working behind the counter about the nutrition and calories, they will look it up for you. We ordered a birthday cake one time and we had to ask about that. I don't see a reason for them not to put a label on it though.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    it's the law in the UK for the nutrition information to be on the packet. It is very useful.The one exception seems to be food prepared in store, and I think you can ask for it as Bosslady1 says.

I worked in M&S and we had a book with all the nutritional information for all the things we sold in the coffee shop, cakes, scones etc all there is people asked. I only ever had one person ask though in 2 years!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Most grocery stores you can ask for the information and they can print it out for you. That's what I have found with the grocery stores around by me.
    I think they are like any other chain or fast food, if they have so many locations they have to provide that for you.
    I say - just ask!
This discussion has been closed.