Yet another HRM thread, sorry!

Options
Sorry I know there are a few, I just have been looking on this messageboard and on other sites too and I'm still a bit unsure.
Me and a pal are thinking about getting the polar FT4 HRM.
So far we are just going off the results the machines at our gyms are telling us in terms of calorie burn, but getting wildly different results.
Example: I burnt 500 cal with 40 minutes on the stepper, and she burnt 260 with 1hr running on the treadmill.

I spoke to a trainer at my gym and he said a HRM was the best way to go to get personal results, as the machines are very general and not based on any of my information.

I see a lot of posts on here about HRM not being worth it unless you are going for higher models than the ones we are looking at in terms of calorie accuracy, but all the models people list as worthwhile are at least double my budget, and I'm already stretching it with the FT4.
Surely a hrm that has a constant read of my heart rate, and my weight height and age, will give me more accurate info than just the numbers off the machine that knows nothing about me?
I'm just worried cause I don't want to fork out £50 that I can't really afford right now for something that's just gonna be a waste of time.

I'd also like to add that while I am trying to lose weight, that's not my ultimate goal. I am also looking to get fitter and improve my stamina, so I feel like a HRM might be able to help with that too in the long run.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    FT4 are a great HRM if your main aim is to monitor the calories it does the job well. Just remember though even though HRMs are a more accurate way of recording exercise calories they are still an estimate. An estimate based on more data and using a good algorithm but still an estimate.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know it won't be 100% :)
    I just figure surely it has to be more accurate than the machine. I just want to make sure I'm roughly burning the amount I think I am, otherwise when I eat back some of my exercise calories I might be screwing myself over!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate enough to justify stretching your budget to buy even a lower-end model. Another option would be to adopt the TDEE-20% method and ignore exercise calories altogether.

Or if you are staying with the MFP approach, you could just allocate a basic amount -- say 400-500 per hour of exercise- to "eat back". That would likely be as accurate as you need to be.

Most people making the testimonials about the benefits of HRMs don't understand how they work and are oblivious to their (many) shortcomings.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are they not good for helping with fitness goals though? Like I said my main goal is improving stamina, weight loss is secondary and something that will come as I get better with cardio.
    I feel like the HRM will be more accurate than going off the machines for now, but I also want to make sure I'm putting the right amount of effort in when exercising.
    I went on a health kick a few years ago and hit a wall with my running. I'm hoping that if I have a HRM it will help me see when I am pushing too hard/not hard enough rather than just thinking I've done enough and stopping.

I see what you mean with the calories, but if these really are a waste of money do you have any ideas about something else that can help me when I get stuck with my exercise?