toning exercises that are easy on my tum tum

Options
In January I had open surgery to remove a cyst and an ovary.
As soon as the doctor said it was okay I've hit the gym, so I've been doing this nearly a month and a half.
I've only really been doing cardio, as I was worried about immediately lifting weights for obvious reasons.
The last week or so I've done a few sets of things like lady push ups, squats and side leg lifts, but when I tried to do sit ups I couldn't do many, and it was really uncomfortable and sore for days, so I'm not gonna do them again for a while!
Just wondered if any of you have been in a similar position and how long it took you to be able to do more things, or if anyone has any advice on exercises that don't put loads of pressure on the belly.

Replies

• BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I'm pregnant so I too try to avoid a lot of core focused exercises. As for weight -lifting, I might suggest anything that requires you to sit whether it be on the machines or with free weights sitting on a bench and maybe slightly lighter weights, it will take the focus more towards the direct area and use less of your core. As for abs, if your obliques can handle it, try weighted side bends, lighter weight of course, don't want to risk complications and maybe crunches on a ball. For more me, the ball seems to use the upper abs and my thighs more than my lower core. Hope this gives you a place to start!
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's awesome I hadn't thought of doing weights sat down. Never done weighted side bends, I'll have to give them a go!
    Good shout on using the ball too. I'm gonna wait a little bit longer before I try again, but next time I do try crunches I'll use the ball and see if it's easier!

It's so frustrating trying to get fit with restrictions! I tried to go running but my scar is still really sensitive and the movement from running made my waistband rub on it :( My pals suggested running in the buff but I doubt the other gym members would appreciate that! haha