Smoothies Without Protein Powders

Options
EllieB_5
EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
I can only find online recipes that involve whey powder, or some other protein powder, I also have a limited imagination when it comes to food. It would be fantastic if people could post their favourite smoothie recipe(s) here :drinker: I don't care what type of diet you're on, I can tweak them to fit my needs :smile:

My fave I call Strawberry Cheesecake:
70g Frozen strawberries (not the ones in syrup, ick)
3tbsps cream cheese
80g Greek yogurt
125ml water (or ice)
sweetener to taste
1tbsp vanilla (or to taste)
243 calories, 15g fat, 11g net carbs, 12g protein

Replies

• toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can't you just use the recipes without adding the protein powder?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are pretty basic:

coconut water
    fruit (usually berries)
    a handful of spinach or kale
    flax or hemp seed
    flax oil
    a squeeze of lemon or lime juice if I have it

These are pretty low cal but I make a smoothie if I am in a hurry and need something quick - you could also add yogurt to them to increase the calories a bit if you need to. Sorry I don't really follow recipes for smoothies I just use what I have and edit my basic recipe to record it.
  • EllieB_5
    Options

From experience the powders add thickness, nutrition, and flavour. So if I made a shake sans powder I'd have a watery drink that's probably not very filling, maybe not as nutritious as it could be, plus the taste may not be all that great either. I could add ice for thickness, but that would dilute any flavour even more plus does not add any nutrition to the shake.
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    Sorry I don't really follow recipes for smoothies I just use what I have and edit my basic recipe to record it.

Doesn't have to be a recipe per se, but seeing the types of foods ppl add to their smoothies will be great for teaching me how to make a wider variety. Thanks for your input!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options

From experience the powders add thickness, nutrition, and flavour. So if I made a shake sans powder I'd have a watery drink that's probably not very filling, maybe not as nutritious as it could be, plus the taste may not be all that great either. I could add ice for thickness, but that would dilute any flavour even more plus does not add any nutrition to the shake.

To each their own...I used to make smoothies without protein powder and now I just add the powder to the same combo I did before. I think the yogurt, banana and almond milk I add make more of a difference than a powder. I noticed no difference in terms of the thickness and only slight difference in flavour (nutrition is obviously different and that's why I use it now). I tasted my vanilla protein powder on its own and was surprised at how totally mild the taste is.