Time for a good ol' fashioned rant!

Options

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    [ /quote]
    ETA: maybe it would help to make this comparison. When the OP says we should eat locally, etc., it's like when someone says they know they should recycle. Not like, YOU MUST DO THIS, but like, I know it's the right or responsible thing to do (depending on your personal ethics).
    [/quote]

hooray for that! maybe I SHOULD have used a different word for should. how about "it would be nice if"
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You seem to know what's best for all. It's not that you're a pretentious hippy it's that you come off as pretentious in general. Having been someone who grew up in agriculture I admire your choices greatly and your enthusiasm. However, simply knowing the names of your farmers is a bit naive.

For example back in the mid-80's I was making $10 an hour on weekends and in the summer doing farmer work, I had more rights as a farm worker in Ontario, Canada back then versus now. I put this same challenge to preachy vegans, vegetarians and paleo's who harass me in the store, are the workers making a living wage who produce this food?

I worked in agriculture out of college due to another recession and can tell you some of these allegedly awful corporations, at least here, pay their people well and have clear standards. One was a supplier of pork to Maple Leaf Foods, they had/have rigid quality standards and we were a closed herd. The salary was comparable to a factory job. Salaries in that sector haven't moved from there and some have dropped back.

So while it's great to know the name of your farmer's people would be well advised to find out if they treat their workers as humanely as you expect their animals to be treated, I guarantee you may be surprised on the answer to that.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You seem to know what's best for all. It's not that you're a pretentious hippy it's that you come off as pretentious in general. Having been someone who grew up in agriculture I admire your choices greatly and your enthusiasm. However, simply knowing the names of your farmers is a bit naive.

For example back in the mid-80's I was making $10 an hour on weekends and in the summer doing farmer work, I had more rights as a farm worker in Ontario, Canada back then versus now. I put this same challenge to preachy vegans, vegetarians and paleo's who harass me in the store, are the workers making a living wage who produce this food?

I worked in agriculture out of college due to another recession and can tell you some of these allegedly awful corporations, at least here, pay their people well and have clear standards. One was a supplier of pork to Maple Leaf Foods, they had/have rigid quality standards and we were a closed herd. The salary was comparable to a factory job. Salaries in that sector haven't moved from there and some have dropped back.

So while it's great to know the name of your farmer's people would be well advised to find out if they treat their workers as humanely as you expect their animals to be treated, I guarantee you may be surprised on the answer to that.

Getting tired of this.

Dude, read the above post. It's not SHOULD like she's telling everyone they need to do it or that she knows what's best. It's like her conscience is telling her we all should, like it's good for the environment.

I know everyone should exercise.

I know I should brush my teeth.

I know we should try to feed starving, third-world people who don't have access to food.

She wasn't commanding anyone to do anything. She's saying we should like it's the right or responsible thing to do...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    BUT I also know - almost with 100% certainty we SHOULD know our farmers we SHOULD eat locally and seasonally, we should be eating pasture raised eggs etc etc etc.

Why?

Go back and read previous posts. Why? Local means you don't transport, you don't use fuel, you don't create fuel emissions, you do support local business / farmers. Typically, if you know the farm it comes from, it means it doesn't come from some gigantic commercial farm that could employe what the OP might consider to be questionable practices. Tons of reasons for local. Not saying I'm the best at doing this myself, but the arguments for are usually being responsible to the earth and to local farmers and to the person who is buying the produce.

Like I said earlier, there are economic reasons why, in some cases, we should import and not go local, but that's not what the OP is saying.

ETA: maybe it would help to make this comparison. When the OP says we should eat locally, etc., it's like when someone says they know they should recycle. Not like, YOU MUST DO THIS, but like, I know it's the right or responsible thing to do (depending on your personal ethics).

So, since I live in a place that has to have food shipped via ferry, I get your OK to not buy locally; that I can keep eating the way I'm eating, and if not, then I SHOULD change my diet to only dairy products, parsnips, turnips, tomatoes, and fish that are not cod (those are the majority of foods that can be grown/farmed locally in Newfoundland)?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Getting tired of this.

Dude, read the above post. It's not SHOULD like she's telling everyone they need to do it or that she knows what's best. It's like her conscience is telling her we all should, like it's good for the environment.

I know we should try to feed starving, third-world people who don't have access to food.

She wasn't commanding anyone to do anything. She's saying we should like it's the right or responsible thing to do...

And that's what she SHOULD have said instead of shouting SHOULD with the implication of MUST DO. When someone's yelling at me that I should do this/that/the other thing, they mean I have to do it, no choice in the matter.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    BUT I also know - almost with 100% certainty we SHOULD know our farmers we SHOULD eat locally and seasonally, we should be eating pasture raised eggs etc etc etc.

Why?

Go back and read previous posts. Why? Local means you don't transport, you don't use fuel, you don't create fuel emissions, you do support local business / farmers. Typically, if you know the farm it comes from, it means it doesn't come from some gigantic commercial farm that could employe what the OP might consider to be questionable practices. Tons of reasons for local. Not saying I'm the best at doing this myself, but the arguments for are usually being responsible to the earth and to local farmers and to the person who is buying the produce.

Like I said earlier, there are economic reasons why, in some cases, we should import and not go local, but that's not what the OP is saying.

So, since I live in a place that has to have food shipped via ferry, I get your OK to not buy locally; that I can keep eating the way I'm eating, and if not, then I SHOULD change my diet to only dairy products, parsnips, turnips, tomatoes, and fish that are not cod (those are the majority of foods that can be grown/farmed locally in Newfoundland)?

Will say this again. No one is telling you what you should do with your life. OP was saying what people should probably do to treat the earth well. As always, if it's not possible for you, you don't have to do it. Since no one was really commanding you to do something or telling you that your way of life is wrong, you neither need to get defense nor suggest something that sounds pretty unreasonable.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Getting tired of this.

And that's what she SHOULD have said instead of shouting SHOULD with the implication of MUST DO. When someone's yelling at me that I should do this/that/the other thing, they mean I have to do it, no choice in the matter.

It's been clarified at least twice before you posted that. There's no more confusion...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it drives me crazy when other people think they know what is best for everyone else.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Yes, if we'd known this it would have saved us from eating horse meat over here in the UK :frown:

Bahahaha - we went vegan for quite some time after this in my house :/
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Okay, tired of what, to me, sound like flippant, sarcastic, or just flat out unreasonable responses.

OP, shame on you for having a social conscience YOU HIPPIE! OR HIPSTER!

Go back to magic peace land and smoke a marijuana cigarette and FARM ORGANICALLY YOU FREAK!

That's right, the all caps were for you, Mr. Easily-Offended-By-All-Caps-Who-Doesn't-Care-to-Understand-the-Content-of-Someone's-Post-But-Responss-to-CAPS.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    We have a local farmer's market May through October. We go every week (walk there, it's right next to the local grocery store that we also walk to) and I know the names of the people who sell there. Other than some fruit that is priced comparably to the local supermarkets, I can't afford to buy anything there. Local, organic, kissed by fairies, it doesn't matter - I'm priced out. I can't afford $8 for one package of bacon really thinly sliced nitrate/nitrite/whatever-free bacon. And none of the farmers are "local," every one of them comes from out of state.

It's a nice idea but not a reality for everyone. And that's why people consider those who argue for this to be pretentious. Not because they eat a certain way, but because they ignore reality and the myriad of factors which prevent people from eating that way. And the fact that they insist upon telling you that they eat that way whether you asked them or not.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Why?

In a sense it might be ideal. But that is pretty inconvenient and not a realistic way to eat. I wouldn't do it...
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Processed foods, filled with unpronounceable chemicals = normal.

Unprocessed foods in as close to their natural form = crazy, pretentious hippie, food elitist or crazy evangelist

Maybe if billions of dollars weren't spent each year on constant ads telling us how highly processed foods were just swell, then whole, natural foods wouldn't be consider crazy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow...just wow!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    spm26.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Getting tired of this.

Actually, its not the same as your examples.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Unprocessed foods in as close to their natural form = crazy, pretentious hippie or crazy evangelist

if your ability to pronounce the chemicals in your food is going to dictate your food choices, i suspect you'll have a much harder time finding foods to eat than you think.

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

http://blog.everydayscientist.com/?p=2814
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Getting tired of this.

Actually, its not the same as your examples.

How the word "should" is used should be the same for all of them. Should like, I think it's probably the right thing to do, not like a mandate or command.

Okay, seriously gone now...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Unprocessed foods in as close to their natural form = crazy, pretentious hippie or crazy evangelist

if your ability to pronounce the chemicals in your food is going to dictate your food choices, i suspect you'll have a much harder time finding foods to eat than you think.

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

QFT
  • nisku98
    nisku98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought a vita mix about a year ago and love making smoothies with whole fruits and veggies. When the farmers markets are open, I love buying fresh produce from them. I am definitely in favor of eating whole foods. While I don't always eat organically grown, I do prefer it. Incidentally my kids also like smoothies. I have been adding kale and broccoli to blueberries and strawberries and yogurt and unless they see me making the smoothie, they don't even realize they are consuming greens.