I need recipes for holiday baking

JoyceJoanne
JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Hi everyone,
I'm known for my holiday baked goods.... I'm looking for yummy recipes that would pass as the real thing that I can make/give to my not so healthy family and friends. ie: cookies, breads, cupcakes etc.

I'm also looking for tasty dips that I can bring as appetizers. I don't want people to think that I am the "dieting" one, so do eat her food.... Some favorites of the past are artichoke, and pretty much anything with cheese.

Thanks, I would like to sneak some healthy into their lives too. And not have to worry about not having any choices while I'm at the parties. :blushing:

Replies

• madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    My mom has lots of different things. When I see her this weekend Ill get a couple from her.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Bump!

And check out Hungry Girl ... I'm not always a fan of her options because she uses a lot of processed foods, but there's a TON fewer calories. And some stuff is great :smile:
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Thanks Jo! And Kristen!
    I have the HG cook books... I totally forgot I bought them when they came out!! Will check there, thanks girls!!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    bump :]
  • I too am known for my holiday baking...I am simply going to adjust my old recipes to my new way of eating. For example, for Easter, I made an awesome cheesecake, by substituting splenda for sugar, low fat/fat free cream cheeses and low fat/fat free sour cream...No one was the wiser:) If you use only the low fat versions, they really can't tell...sometimes its harder to get away with all no fat products. For instance if you need two bricks of cream cheese, use one low fat and one fat free:) Other items that use oil for moistness, can use applesauce instead and for chocolate recipes, substitute the darker chocolates for semi sweet. That helps some. Happy baking!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    I'm thinking about the same things. I'm always substituting ingredients to make things a little better, but I too usually do a LOT of baking around the holidays and I give lots of edible gifts so I'll be watching this post too.

Just today I picked up the two Cook Yourself Thin cookbooks from our library. I wanted to check them out before I bought them and just glancing thorough them quickly, they looked really good and had some fairly low calorie recipes. I'm hoping to try out some recipes in the next few days and I'll let you know what I think of them.

I don't use artificial sweeteners at all, those things will kill you! But, I have found that I can decrease the sugar in most recipes by up to 1/2 and they are still delicious and I often prefer them with less sugar.
  • i have found that fruit dishes tend to be the easiest to make healthy. i made apple crisp last week and used sugar in the raw instead of white sugar. there are fruit pizzas...use a whole wheat crust to make it that much healthier.
    walnuts and almonds are my new snack food take along. or veggie tray with carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, colorful peppers...and use salsa (homemade will knock their socks off!) instead of the high fat or low fat/high salt and sugar dips.

i may be known for my yummy high calorie foods, desserts and dips that are served with processed crackers...but i refuse to be that old person. i chose health and non processed foods. if that means i'm known as the diet girl, then i don't care. i am at this point 30 pounds lighter and SOOO much healthier that i am not really interested in their opinion of what i eat.

i want to be the example for my friends to follow, not feeding them the same thing that has gotten us all unhealthy. my diet consist of fresh and unprocessed, i'm not gonna compromise that.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Radish Cream is a great dip.

You need a food processor, light cream cheese, a bunch of radishes, some black pepper, and about a tablespoon of prepared horseradish.

Blend radishes and cheese until smooth. Add pepper and horseradish.

It's great with vegetables (small romaine leaves, celery, tomatoes, snap peas) and pretzel rods... and leftovers are great in sandwiches.

Quickbreads modify well. I subbed 3/4 of the oil from my favorite zucchini bread recipe for applesauce, and have successfully done so with other quickbreads as well.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Bump!
  • disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    www.eatingwell.com

You're welcome. :laugh:
  • Just today I picked up the two Cook Yourself Thin cookbooks from our library. I wanted to check them out before I bought them and just glancing thorough them quickly, they looked really good and had some fairly low calorie recipes. I'm hoping to try out some recipes in the next few days and I'll let you know what I think of them.

I lost my weight following the cookyourselfthin diet and I have to say the chocolate fudge cake made with beetroot is gorgeous and the brownies in the 2nd book are fab too. I'm not sure if its the same recipes in the uk and US but if it is they are great books (and a fair few of my friends got their recipes in the 2nd one)

I have loads of other recipes from the site and we have a book here called red velvet and chocolate heartache that uses vegetables instead of fat in baking and those cakes are amazing too.
This discussion has been closed.