How to calculate strength training cals

Options
Is there a good way to calculate how much you burn doing strength exercises?

I did shoulders, biceps, and abs today but MFP doesn't calculate it really based on calories.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you type in Strength training in the cardio section you will get a calorie value for it.

Keep in mind that it is very difficult to estimate calories burned through strength training due to the numerous variations. Also keep in mind that strength training does not burn a ton of calories either, but there is still a huge benefit from it.

Personally, I always used MFP's option under cardio which is fairly low. It gave me a little less than 200 calories for an hour. I felt comfortable with that. It gave me a few extra calories on those day and wasn't so high that if it was incorrect it would affect my deficit.
  • brianna49415
    Options
    If you type in Strength training in the cardio section you will get a calorie value for it.

Keep in mind that it is very difficult to estimate calories burned through strength training due to the numerous variations. Also keep in mind that strength training does not burn a ton of calories either, but there is still a huge benefit from it.

Personally, I always used MFP's option under cardio which is fairly low. It gave me a little less than 200 calories for an hour. I felt comfortable with that. It gave me a few extra calories on those day and wasn't so high that if it was incorrect it would affect my deficit.

That's what I did but it gave me about 900 calories for 2.5 hours and that seemed like a lot. I actually did it for about 3 hours but I took out some time for rests and a little bit of distraction since I always work out with two other people so 900 seemed like a lot.

Part of me thinks that working muscles would naturally burn quite a bit of calories but it also seems like heart rate would be more important in that... but I'm hungrier after leg day than I am cardio day personally so I'm just a little confused on the whole concept I guess.
  • brianna49415
    Options
    Since we give MFP our age and weight do you think it takes that into consideration at all on the calories or is it the same for everyone?
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM

Ditto
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and get around 200/hr ish and then I finish with cardio after to get it to 400
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out how much time you were really working out, minus the breaks. 900 for 2.5 hours sounds realistic, but most probably your real time dedicated to actually exercising was much lower than this.
  • brianna49415
    Options
    Try to figure out how much time you were really working out, minus the breaks. 900 for 2.5 hours sounds realistic, but most probably your real time dedicated to actually exercising was much lower than this.

Well I work in a gym so when it's slow/nothing is going on I literally just work out. It's super nice to have all the time to dedicate to fitness but it won't be like this forever lol if I can start figuring out calculating now though it'll make things easier for the future

I think I'm going to get a HRM though, thanks guys!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM

Ditto

HRM are meant for state state cardio, not weight lifting.

There are a few calculators online. I used to use something similar to this:
    http://www.ask.com/explore/calculate-calories-burned-during-weightlifting-weights-5611

Also here is another MFP discussion on weight training cals burned:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/313856-strength-training-calorie-calculator
    I would like to specifically point out this comment:
    "A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training."

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Either way, I would recommend that your err on the side of caution. Underestimate estimations. It's going to take some trial and error since there's no exact way to calculate calories for, well, anything. We can get close to estimating out BMR, TDEE, etc. but it's all just a general starting point. Try something for 6-8 weeks and see how your weight changes. If you're not happy, adjust your calorie equation somehow.

Good luck! :drinker:

Edited for spelling error.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    using HRMs for strength training is silly. And for tiny muscle groups like abs, shoulders, and biceps, there's barely any additional burn at all. not enough that i'd spend more than 6 secs trying to figure it out, anyway
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Since we give MFP our age and weight do you think it takes that into consideration at all on the calories or is it the same for everyone?

It takes that into consideration.

HRMs are not valid for most types of strength training. The calorie estimation formulas are based on steady state cardio actvity which strength training is not. You will get an inflated number.

Here is a great explanation of why

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will say that you shouldn't count the calories burned through strength training.

I usually calculate about 200 calories an hour for myself. I work out in my basement and bust a move or two between sets. If I happen to stop and chat with my husband, I'll stop my HRM. Other then that, I work hard on keeping my heart rate up.

I really think it depends on what your doing. Strength training using crossfit like maneuvers for instance, burns a lot of calories. Still, some people wouldn't count them.

When I train I am, lunging, squatting, lifting, pushing, pulling, planking and all sorts of stuff. I don't rest too much in between so I feel good about counting a modest calorie burn. If I were to go outside for an easy stroll, I would burn about what I do lifting. I think it's close enough!
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't count strength training at all, but then again its part of my day to day life and i use a TDEE -20% to calculate my calorie goals so its unnecessary for me to add back in normal exercise which strength training is for me.