Good habits and BAD CHOLESTEROL!!!! Help!

Options
:sad: I have been on MFP since late Dec. I have lost weight and a healthy lifestyle. I have had 2 foot surgeries in 9 months so my exercise has not been very aerobic...more mat work like pilates due to the feet healing. I was looking forward to my bloodwork this week since my habits have changed drastically. Well, guess what, my cholesterol is up!!!

I turned 50 in January. Does that mean everything falls apart?!* I eat right, lots of fruits and veges. I drink only skim milk. I only have red meat once a week or so.....I am by far not perfect but I eat well 90% of the time. Last year my cholesterol was 198, this year it is 244!!!! What the heck?! I am soooooooooooooooo dissapointed. I am in shock actually. I am approaching my goal weight and was so proud of my progress.....until Wed. The only thing I can say is my mom has high cholesterol. I guess I am doomed. Hers is off the charts.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. Am I doomed?!:frown: Rats!

Replies

• schriderm
    Options
    Don't fret....God does not give us more than we can handle. I understand your situation. I too have a cholestorol issue. My level was 318! That kinda gave me a scare being only 32 and everything. I don't know what your eating habits are, but I do know eating oatmeal helps lower cholestorol. If you like fried foods use corn or canola oils, these oils carry the good fats and cholestorl. Eating tomato soups are good as well.

schriderm
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The main causes of high colesterol are foods high in saturated fat/cholesterol and not enough food high in EFA's (omega 3 & 6) which can counteract the bad type.

Other reasons include lack of cardio and too much alcohol.

And yes, there is also a genetic predispostion to high cholesterol.

I guess the fact that you've lost weight doesnt mean that you are eating things low in cholesterol?

I can only suggest you take a look at your diet and try some more cardiovascualar exercise when your feet get better. It might just be that you've become less active becasue of the surgery?

Why dont you google 'high cholesterol foods' and start there to try and avoid them......and then start to ease back into cardio (sorry, I dont know if you're still in recovery or not).

Please dont get despondent. I dont think its your age, it could just be as a consequence to the foot surgery and lack of cardio hun.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is ask your Doctor who did your blood work. She can tell you what might have made it go up and what you can do about it. Just watch what is in your food as well as what you cook it in.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I was 50, I was 365.5 pounds, had a 95% heart blockage, blood sugar at 500, severe depression, high blood pressure and was house bound for a year. I was surprise every morning when I woke up alive. Seriously

When I turned 55 and after 100 % heart blockage, and still didn't learn.

When I was 57, I decided it was time to change or die. With the help of the V.A.'s Move program, I slowly started to learn how to control my eating. After a while, I started doing water aerobics because I could hardly stand more than 5 minutes.

In one week I turn 61, still over weight but slowly losing. I am able to walk 4 miles and working on a goal of 6. I walk every day and feel better now than when I was in my 40s.

Bottom line is, it is never too late to start to change your life around and become healthier. Just remember, it is a long and slow process.
  • mothergoose43
    Options
    maybe you have the kind that runs in familie. have you asked your doctor.seems mine is lower when I do get some fat in my diet.
  • mothergoose43
    Options
    See that's what I SAY YOU are never to old to make a change.
  • mothergoose43
    Options
    olive oil is also good .But if it from your family nothing helps. except meds. your body just produces to much cholesterol.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    When I was 50, I was 365.5 pounds, had a 95% heart blockage, blood sugar at 500, severe depression, high blood pressure and was house bound for a year. I was surprise every morning when I woke up alive. Seriously

When I turned 55 and after 100 % heart blockage, and still didn't learn.

When I was 57, I decided it was time to change or die. With the help of the V.A.'s Move program, I slowly started to learn how to control my eating. After a while, I started doing water aerobics because I could hardly stand more than 5 minutes.

In one week I turn 61, still over weight but slowly losing. I am able to walk 4 miles and working on a goal of 6. I walk every day and feel better now than when I was in my 40s.

Bottom line is, it is never too late to start to change your life around and become healthier. Just remember, it is a long and slow process.
    [/uote]

:happy: Wow! Congrats on your progress! Just curious...what is your cholesterol now?

:flowerforyou: And...thanks to all for your suggestions. My diary is viewable. Feel free to take a look. I am usually under on fat. I don't fry, just bake or grill most times. Tonight we splurged and I had 4 fried shrimp, but was still under on total fat. (They were boxed so I actually baked them, but they said "fried" on the box.) I think the lack of aerobic exercise and genetics is the answer. I do get good fats in each day. I am taking flax oil caplets twice a day and only use olive oil.....really......I am recovering from shock! But your encouragement is helpful. I am calling a healthclub with a pool tomorrow to get prices for membership. That would be aerobic and easy on my feet. Thanks again!:smile:
  • dorwade
    dorwade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my last blood work didn't show what I was hoping for either! But I have managed to slowly lower my cholesterol to 187 from a high of 220 something. And my husband just got back a total # of 244, so his doc wanted to put him on meds. We may do that, but for now we asked for three months to try to lower it with diet, exercise and supplements. Dr. agreed.

I checked out several books from the library, and the best seems to be The 8 week cholesterol cure (or something like that!) and it says that it is more about genes than food, but there are some foods you can add to your diet and supplements to take that can significantly lower the numbers and raise the HDL levels, which is a good thing!

I lowered mine with LOTS of cardio, oatmeal (steel cut oats actually) every morning in the winter and other whole grains, berries, olive oil, avacados, nuts (those last three in moderations because high in calories, but they raise the HDL), switching to egg whites instead of whole eggs most of the time, and taking vitamins B, C, E, selenium and fish oil capsules. I am not very diligent about the supplements, but would take them when i thought about it, which probably averaged out to 3-4 times per week. still try to take them as often as I think about it, which isn't that often honestly. I hope that with my husband working to lower his cholesterol it will help me to do a better job of taking them!

A couple of high cholesterol foods that we don't always think about while avoiding fried foods and full fat dairy and red meat: shrimp and egg yolks!

My husband is eating oatmeal and an apple every single day, taking the above supplements, and he may add in niacin. I was scared to take it because of the "flush" it causes. I already tend to have a red face too often! He is also off liquor (it was hard for him to give up his beloved Patron' Gold!) and walking. Of course things like avoiding high fat foods and eating lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains. Also, we are trying to limit carbs, especially sugar, as the books I've read say that can be an issue as well in elevated cholesterol and triglycerides.

Good luck and chin up! You can lower that number!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :grumble: The main cause of high cholesterol is genetics and poor lifestyle. If it is not in your genes, diet and exercise (which is what your are doing). If it is in your genes, medication and diet and exercise.

Cholesterol is not the only measure to look at. You should also know about the good cholesterol and how it compares to total cholesterol. Also look at triglycerides. If that is down, and the good cholesterol is up, that is a result of diet and exercise, i.e. a healthy lifestyle.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Don't give up. I am in the same boat. Thanks to family history.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :grumble: The main cause of high cholesterol is genetics and poor lifestyle. If it is not in your genes, diet and exercise (which is what your are doing). If it is in your genes, medication and diet and exercise.

Cholesterol is not the only measure to look at. You should also know about the good cholesterol and how it compares to total cholesterol. Also look at triglycerides. If that is down, and the good cholesterol is up, that is a result of diet and exercise, i.e. a healthy lifestyle.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Don't give up. I am in the same boat. Thanks to family history.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Oh I know you are so disappointed and I am so sorry! I for one would say it is NOT your age, as I am 52 and having lost 30 pounds prior to my appt. in May had great results. I think most folks who have replied have touched all the right bases: eat more oatmeal, and fish, use olive oil rather than other oils, and when you are able try to up your cardio. Just keep making the healthy choices and have a discussion with your doctor about this, given all the effort that you put into it. I know you would prefer to avoid medications. Hugs.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thank you friends. You have given me food for thought. Just polished off my oatmeal and plan on some cardio today! My gameplan is to give myself 3 months to work on this and then recheck and decide if I should go on Meds. Again, I appreciate the advice and support!:flowerforyou: