Turkey Meatloaf

Options
I made this last night, I used to use hamburger and ground pork...With my diet changes and trying to get my family to eat better, I substituted the meats with ground turkey. I also substituted the eggs with milled (ground)flax seed and water. Milled flax can replace the fat(ie. butter) or the eggs in recipes. I put carrots, celery and 1/2 a yellow onion in a food processor to chop(almost puree). I eyeball all of my ingredients so below I have estimated the measurements. The original recipe was adopted from a local restraunt, I no longer have the original, buthave changed it to suit my needs. My husband and son loved it. It doesn't come out as firm as a hamburger meatloaf, but it is very tasty!

1 lb raw ground turkey
1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots, onions & celery.
2 cups plain bread crumbs
1.5 TBS Light Mayo
1.5 TBS Yellow Mustard
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
2 TBS milled flax seed
6 TBS water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
(You may replace all the water & flax with 2 eggs. Or use1 egg and 1 TBS flax with 3 TBS water.)

Mix all ingredients in large bowl with your hands until well incorporated. Place mixture into a loaf pan, cover with 2 layers of aluminium foil and bake at 425 degrees for approx 60-65 min. Uncover loaf for the last 10 minutes of cooking for a nice brown top.

Replies

• nhoffman08
    Options
    I made this last night, I used to use hamburger and ground pork...With my diet changes and trying to get my family to eat better, I substituted the meats with ground turkey. I also substituted the eggs with milled (ground)flax seed and water. Milled flax can replace the fat(ie. butter) or the eggs in recipes. I put carrots, celery and 1/2 a yellow onion in a food processor to chop(almost puree). I eyeball all of my ingredients so below I have estimated the measurements. The original recipe was adopted from a local restraunt, I no longer have the original, buthave changed it to suit my needs. My husband and son loved it. It doesn't come out as firm as a hamburger meatloaf, but it is very tasty!

1 lb raw ground turkey
    1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots, onions & celery.
    2 cups plain bread crumbs
    1.5 TBS Light Mayo
    1.5 TBS Yellow Mustard
    1 6 oz can of tomato paste
    2 TBS milled flax seed
    6 TBS water
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    (You may replace all the water & flax with 2 eggs. Or use1 egg and 1 TBS flax with 3 TBS water.)

Mix all ingredients in large bowl with your hands until well incorporated. Place mixture into a loaf pan, cover with 2 layers of aluminium foil and bake at 425 degrees for approx 60-65 min. Uncover loaf for the last 10 minutes of cooking for a nice brown top.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ooo that sounds very healthy and yummy!

I make mine w/ turkey too but I don't do the flax and all that...hmmmmm feeling my inspiration juices flow! bwah ha ha!

thanks a lot!
    hugs,
    Ali