Height: 6'2"

Starting weight: 265.0 lbs
Current weight: 214.4 lbs
Goal weight: 210.0 lbs - Stretch goal: 200.0 lbs
Progress: 50.6 lbs lost

Starting BF%: 33.1%
Current BF%: 21.8%
Goal BF%: 18.0% - Stretch goal: 15.0%
Progress: 11.3 BF percentage points lost - 46.6% reduction in total BF.

Fitbit stats:
4,373,728 total steps - Best day: 44,092
12,387 flights - Best day: 300
2120.02 miles* - Best day: 21.37

*2120 miles = the distance between New York City and Tucson, Arizona (also the distance between New York City and Cartagena Colombia... that sounds more impressive, especially since I'd have to walk on water :wink: )

What I've learned along the way... these are the things that have worked for ME - YMMV:
- Weigh / measure your food! This one is a MUST!

- There are no EVIL foods; moderation is the key

- Moderation is the key, but you need to work towards it - for me...:
- Moderation Phase I = avoidance pure and simple... if trigger foods aren't in the house, you can't eat them
- Moderation Phase II = if you find yourself craving one of your trigger foods, tell yourself you can have it tomorrow, most of the time the craving will be gone the next day, if not, get yourself a sensible portion and fit it into your next day's calories - the key is to not let yourself feel deprived... feelings of deprivation = BAD
- Moderation Phase III = the end state: reintroduction - being able to have trigger foods in the house and not lose control; I've gotten to Phase III for most items, but others like ice cream and peanut butter, I can't keep in the house yet... but I'm getting there!

- Exercise is GOOD! Exercise = being able to eat more! :smile: I try to eat 80% or fewer of my exercise calories back... this allows for a couple of things:
- Allows some headroom for calorie estimation errors (exercise calories or consumed calories)
- Allows for the occasional cheat - that's right... I cheat. Occasionally, I'll allow myself a couple pieces of 'undocumented' dark chocolate or a small handful of roast almonds... I think a small cheat now and again is good for relieving the constant burden of logging your food and exercise. The key for me is to make sure it's something sensible and reasonably healthy.

- Plateaus are normal - just grit your teeth and push through them. I suffered through a 4-month plateau and it was a killer. There were a few things that helped me through it:
- Focus on your NSV's... are your clothes fitting better? Have more stamina? Is your waist smaller? Your arms more muscular? Not all your progress is going to be seen on the scale... some would argue that the most *important* changes won't be seen there
- Weigh / measure your food! Did I already mention that? Is it a pain? Yes, in the beginning, but it's worth it!
- Shake up your exercise routine
- DON'T GIVE UP!!

If you've read this far, you've got the patience and endurance it takes to get where you're going - now get moving!

Replies

• primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Undocumented dark chocolate. LOL!
    Great job getting fit using a mindful approach. It sounds like you are making lifelong changes, which is wonderful. Thank you for sharing!
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    I love that moderation part! Without it I wouldn't have lasted the first week. Keep at it!
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Loved your post and congrats!
  • ancho84
    ancho84 Posts: 40 Member
    Great post! Thanks.. :)
  • Very Very VERY motivating, thanks for sharing your journey!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Encouraging post - well done on your journey! What worked for you seems to be working for me too.
  • dizzydomino37
    dizzydomino37 Posts: 4 Member
    Fantastic post. Just what I needed to read as I'm struggling at the mo. This has made me feel so much better :smile:
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Awesome progress! I'm sure you'll be able to keep up the great work with such a sensible outlook. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!