Sugar from fruit

I've noticed that I will go over my allotted sugar for the day with fruit. Is this something I should be worried about? I stay away from candy, cookies and other sweets, but only because I use fruit to satisfy my cravings...any input would be much appreciated. Also I could use all the friends/support I can get on this journey to a healthier life so please add me if you'd like.

Thx!

Replies

• Sugar from fruit is natural and not bad like sugar from, say, a cookie. Eat up. :)
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    I have been going over a tiny bit somedays too. I am just trying to keep it near or around. If I go over a tiny bit I dont care too much.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    MFP's sugar allocation is set to the usual recommendation for added sugar, so it doesn't really mean anything. I turned off the tracking for sugar completely and track nutrients that are more important for me.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I don't even track sugar. I track fiber in its place
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Sugar from fruit is natural and not bad like sugar from, say, a cookie. Eat up. :)

Sugar from both are fine, focus on your overall macros. If it bugs you, OP, stop tracking sugar and just focus on hitting your carbs goal instead.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member

This is good advice, and reminds me that I need to start tracking fiber, too!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

Me too! :drinker:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Me three! :drinker:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Nope. Unless you have a medical condition and your doctor has recommend that you watch all sugar intake.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Me 4!:drinker:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member

Me 5! :drinker:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

Me 5! :drinker:

Me 6! :drinker:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Some will say "sugar is sugar and should all be avoided" ... of course, these are the low-carb folks that want to do away with starches, breads, etc... As others have said, try to stay balanced and don't sweat the small stuff...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    MFP's sugar allocation is set to the usual recommendation for added sugar

not since the New Year it isn't

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Can someone please tell me what "carbs" are good for? Is it energy? Sorry if that sounded dumb.. But say you go a little over your carb goal, not much just a little.. what does that mean?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Can someone please tell me what "carbs" are good for? Is it energy? Sorry if that sounded dumb.. But say you go a little over your carb goal, not much just a little.. what does that mean?

Good for replenishing glycogen reserves if you've done a whole load of exercise and drained them. Don't know if there's a massive difference in the time to replenish but it seems likely that higher blood glucose levels from carbs will help get more into muscles and the liver.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    The sugar allocation is the recommendation for added sugars such as from refined and processed foods. Sugar from fruit in its whole form reacts very differently in the body to refined sugar due to the nutrients and fibre you get within the fruit and you don't need to worry about the sugar from fruit in general - there are some exceptions, but if you're in a calorie deficit it's not a big issue.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265

Your body can easily extract the glucose from carbs and this is the body's preferred source of fuel and is best for high intensity exercise. It's not necessarily the BEST source of fuel, but if you're doing a lot of high intensity cardio you're going to need some quick release carbs to help your performance. Going over your carb allowance doesn't mean much unless you're trying to achieve something whereby carb amounts matter such as ketosis and of course if you're overeating on calories they will be stored as fat, but that's generally the same for any excess calories. Some people are carb sensitive and their bodies will choose to store carbs as fat before it uses them for energy and in this case excess carbs can be problematic so this is where activity is important. But if you're talking about a few grams over your allowance it's really not a big deal.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    I eat a lot of fruit, and juice a lot of it (plus veggies)...I do not fret over the fructose.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    MFP's sugar allocation is set to the usual recommendation for added sugar

not since the New Year it isn't

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014

Ah, thanks, I'll have to update. :)