want to try lifting. can somebody help?

Options
I am interested in adding some lifting to my activities.I've just been walking for exercise so far. I have a basement full of weights that belong to my son, but no idea where to start. 49 with over 100 pounds to lose. Can anyone give me pointers on how to get started?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Some great starting programs are New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, and Strong Lifts 5x5. If you have dumbbells, then I think NROWLW is the most applicable place to start. There are a lot of programs out there that can get you started.
  • bllhffmn
    bllhffmn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanx jstout. appreciate the info.
  • GeorgiesTraining
    GeorgiesTraining Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive just come off a three month trial of 5x5SL, strongly recommend it for someone in your position. Also, Wendler's 5/3/1 program.
    But if you want to jump into something ASAP these are the four I always involve regardless (main source: Elliott Hulse)

1) Front Squat (intermediate leg/posterior exercise)
    2) Dips (simple bodyweight/weighted chest and tricep exercise)
    3) Bent over row (simple standing row, bicep and back exercise)
    4) Deadlifts (intermediate leg and back pull exercise)

Some tips I used to lose weight and recomp. my body:
    - Strength training first, cardio second
    - Never be afraid to combine them, farmers walks or circuit training etc.
    - Familiarise yourself with the difference between hypertrophy training and strength training parameters and strive for both forms
    - Focus and commitment helps kick *kitten*
    - Nutrition will become significantly more important with resistance training

Want any other random tips feel free to msg me. Happy lifting.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are hoping to achieve.

Irrespective, I would suggest you start simply and use a few lifts for a few weeks and not worry too much about programming at the moment unless you are confident.

Depending on exactly what equipment your son has I would:

Squat (goblet, if you like)
    Bench press (floor press if you don't have a bench)
    Bent over row (Pendlay, one arm as you like)
    Overhead press (barbell, dumbbell whatever you prefer)

The rep range doesn't really matter at the moment, but feel free to complete between 5 - 12 or so reps for 2 - 3 sets. No need to over-think it. Try whatever other exercises you like the look of (via googling of recieved suggestions), get a feel for what you enjoy.

If you decide that you want to make lifting a prominent part of your routine then you have plenty of options depending on your particular motivations. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, ICF, All Pro's and myriad other beginner programs all have their adherents. I think that of these I would probably suggest All Pro's for a beginner cutting female but it is your decision to make.

Whatever you decide to do: good luck.