Fitbit vs. heart rate monitor

Options
When I track my exercise I sometimes think that the calories MFP say I burn is higher than it should be. I am considering getting a heart rate monitor say I can accurately track calories burned, but I also noticed that Fitbit will sync with MFP. I have a friend that used Fitbit and loves it, but I know it counts all activity during the day and gives you calories you burned with your overall activity, not just when you exercise. What are you thoughts/preferences/experiences? Is it worth the investment for the Fitbit or would wearing a heart rate monitor just when I exercise give me better results?

Replies

• sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you and what kind of exercise you do. I have had the fitbit one for several months while my main form of exercise was walking. Since I am doing more now, for example, elliptical and stationary bike, I got a polar ft4.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use both; I wear my Fitbit One all day to monitor my overall activity and use my HRM to track/record calorie burns from cardio (Zumba, running, etc). Fitbit does not measure your heart rate, only movement. If your exercise is primarily walking, low-impact, or strength training, I would venture that a Fitbit would be sufficient. But if you're wanting to log more accurate calorie burns for high-intensity cardio then definitely consider a HRM.