elliptical. is it possible for me to burn THIS many cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The HRM is the best way to go (i love my Polar F7) with my elliptical it has a HRM with chest strap, but when i dont use that, it actually UNDERestimates my caloric burn.
  • applepie157
    Options
    The machine did not ask for my weight, it's a pretty cheap model- but I am moving arms and legs simultaneously. I noticed my fastest speed was around 9 and my average is 6 if that helps.. all I know is I'm doing more than I was last week! :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The machine did not ask for my weight, it's a pretty cheap model- but I am moving arms and legs simultaneously. I noticed my fastest speed was around 9 and my average is 6 if that helps.. all I know is I'm doing more than I was last week! :)

Then it will only be a rough estimate. For the sake of calories counting here, many people say to just eat back maybe half of the calorie burn a machine tells you, to account for the probable overestimate. If you do end up getting a HRM monitor, it will give you a better estimate, but even a HRM may not be 100% accurate.

On the elliptical I use at the gym, it tells me I burn about 450 cals in half an hour. I have no idea if that is accurate, so I simply use it as guide for how well I did: was it more or less than last time?

Just keep going!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Self.com has a calculator: http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/elliptical_trainer/

Set to moderate exercise, at your weight, you burned approx. 325.05 calories. If you were working vigorously for 30 minutes, it says 385.06 calories. The 400 calorie thing is probably overestimating, especially if you were struggling to finish. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor to really learn how much you're burning.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Self.com has a calculator: http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/elliptical_trainer/

Set to moderate exercise, at your weight, you burned approx. 325.05 calories. If you were working vigorously for 30 minutes, it says 385.06 calories. The 400 calorie thing is probably overestimating, especially if you were struggling to finish. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor to really learn how much you're burning.

That link is pretty dang accurate! I matched it up with my bodymedia numbers and it was almost dead on!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical I use at the gym, it tells me I burn about 450 cals in half an hour. I have no idea if that is accurate, so I simply use it as guide for how well I did: was it more or less than last time?

Now that is a neat idea for it's use.

That way you can vary the workout by maybe more incline less resistance, faster speed, ect, and if no HRM just look at calorie burn to see if the machine thought those settings were harder or easier compared to another workout.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm female, weigh 197lbs and usually burn 360cals in 30 mins at 7.3mph on my elliptical. i hope that helps you some.
  • peggyperez2
    Options
    Hello yes it is possible to burn that many calories on the elliptical that is what I am using my self as i have knee problems and back problems at least i getting it done doing 30 min, it was hard as heck to get to do 30 the 1st min. thought I was gonna die so now trying to get to 45 min , and i also have some 5lb hand weights so I do some curls and lifts started 2reps 10 ea. now doing 3 reps 10 ea. the Dr asked how long did it take me to gain the weight told her 57 years sure wasn't an over night thing and had to stop working and now on disability wish there food would have it were you can put in your own cooked meals told the Nurse that I don't cook from boxes and probably would not know how any how nice meeting you as i just started this 3 weeks ago keep on ellipticalling have a great day ...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    But it says I burned 400 calories.. is this possible???? thanks!

No.

Not until you're much more fit.

What? That's a load of crap. The more you weigh, the more calories your body will naturally burn during activity. A 130 lb person walking 3.5 mph for one hour will burn about 354 calories. A 205 lb person walking the same speed for the same amount of time will burn about 558 calories.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ...Don't get caught up on the numbers the machines spit out. Use it as a guide....

Yep, that's what I figured out after a couple of runs on it ! Now, I'm just happy to be able to do 30 minutes "almost full-on" or 60 minutes "half-throttle"...it's more cardio than I've EVER done and I enjoy it :smile:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Not OP but thank you for the link, I'm definitely going to save it!