Carbs vs Calories

Options
So I was wondering what you all thought helped with weight loss more? Watching your carbs or just watching the calories? I've heard people say you can lose a lot of weight using diets such as atkins....Just wondering what you all thought and also would like some tips or thoughts if you all had tried it before :) Thanks

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For me it has been cutting out my Kryptonite trigger foods of wheat, rice and potato. They just happen to be high glycemic carbs. I can completely portion control all other foods with almost no effort.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It's the same thing. When you cut out carbs, you're eliminating calories. 1g of carbs have 4 caloric value. People who go low carb will see faster initial weight loss due to water weight loss (this is not fat loss, there is a difference). In the long run, they both will result in weight loss if you maintain a calorie deficit. I do not do well on low carb, carbs are energy. Finding a good balance of proteins, fats, and carbs is ideal. I ate close to 200g of carbs a day throughout my weight loss. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Watching the types of carbs where the Glycemic Index comes in (lower number is better for some) but watching your calories goes hand-in-hand with watching macros.

1g of carbs and protein each have 4 calories, a gram of fat has 9!

Just something to keep in mind...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Watching the types of carbs where the Glycemic Index comes in (lower number is better for some) but watching your calories goes hand-in-hand with watching macros.

1g of carbs and protein each have 4 calories, a gram of fat has 9!

Just something to keep in mind...

Fats are also essential for hormone control and overall health, so they are well worth their calories in balance with the other macros
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for 8 months now and I eat regularly 200+ in carbs a day. I have lost 49 lbs of body fat and gained 10 lbs of muscle (and lost 8 inches off my abs) all while eating tons of carbs. Carbs are energy .. so you need them, and low carbs is just nuts in my opinion. It is just not necessary as you can successfully lose fat .. while eating them.

The trick is calorie deficit ... as long as you burn more than you eat, you will be fine. But sticking to a reasonable macro level for carbs, protein and fat is also very important. Just do things in a reasonable fashion.

Good luck.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you have to find what works best for you life, mind, and body. I did low carb for a few years because I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. I lost weight, my symptoms went away, and I felt great. I kept it off. Then after my second child, I started with calorie counting and have lost 50lbs. But at that point, my symptoms were still been under control from before. So, low carb worked for me because that was what I could do then. Low cal works for me now. Both will get similar results long term so just do whichever works for you.