My potassium levels are way down.

Options
JoshD8705
JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
I never realized how much potassium is necessary. I'm tired of getting tight legged during cardio, so how can I increase my potassium intake. I already try eating atleast half a banana each day.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you're relying on MFP to tell you potassium levels, be aware that since potassium data isn't required, it frequently isn't on a package. If something tells you there's 0 mg of potassium, it's probably not entered.

That being said, some sources that really pack in the potassium fast are:
    beet greens (also low-cal)
    low sodium v8 (also low-cal)
    potatoes
    milk
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I'm waiting for someone to smack me in the head and say I should have had a V8. lol
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I'm waiting for someone to smack me in the head and say I should have had a V8. lol

Smack! Haha I should face palm myself as mine are way low as well, and my sodium too
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting "No Salt" in place of regular salt (potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride). The reviews say there can be an after taste the first few times you use it then you get used to it maybe.

But how are you certain you're getting tight legged due to potassium and not maybe being newish to cardio? Are you warming up before, stretching after, taking breaks and rest days as necessary , etc?
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    It might be due to being new, but getting the potassium levels under control couldn't hurt. I am doing warm up, but I could stretch more. I'll have to check out the no salt. My brother should be interested in it.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Cramps can also be a sign of dehydration so make sure you're drinking more than enough water. They could also be because you're not stretching enough. Eat more bananas and if you eat potatoes, eat the skins. But trust me if your potassium levels were too low, you'd be sick as hell.