How many grams in 1 cup of cooked brown rice?

Options
Is it 100 grams?

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    probably not.

Don't play guessing games with food - buy a scale. They're less than 20 dollars usually and they will be a lifesaver for you.

Even with package recommendations, sometimes things can be totally off. Pleeeassee do yourself a favor and purchase one!
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Jen800 said. Get a food scale!
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Get a cheap food scale. Switching measurement from volume (cups) to mass (grams) is going to be, at best, a guess or an average. Which is fine if you don't need a lot of precision, but if you're not seeing the results you want down the line keep this thread in mind.
  • ainokea8
    ainokea8 Posts: 95
    Options
    Okay I understand I need to get a food scale but currently do not have one and don't have the exact budget for it right now. Food scales here cost 20-30 euros which is hefty for a student's budget. (I do not live in the states currently)

Therefore I would appreciate if someone could please answer the topic at hand.Thanks!
  • ainokea8
    ainokea8 Posts: 95
    Options
    bump
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Okay I understand I need to get a food scale but currently do not have one and don't have the exact budget for it right now. Food scales here cost 20-30 euros which is hefty for a student's budget. (I do not live in the states currently)

Therefore I would appreciate if someone could please answer the topic at hand.Thanks!

No one can tell you exactly how much a cup of rice weighs, because it depends how you measure the cup of rice and how much water you add. Some people cook a half cup of raw rice with 1 cup of water; others with 1.5 cup and that influences the weight.
    Also, if you check Amazon -Europe you will see that kitchen scales start at 4.99 Euros with lots of them costing less than 10.-Euros. There is no need to spend 20-30 Euros and I am sure that in a discount place you find them even cheaper than at Amazon.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Just google the question. I'm sure you will get an answer.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Most of those 90 second steamable rice bags list 140g as being equal to 1 cup for about 220 calories.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    200 grams is about right. {thank you Google} But for calories, you can go by the amount of raw rice you cooked, and divide from the total.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Or just use the 'rice cooked' entry from MFP. It's what I do... close enough.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the budget, here's some stuff you can try:

1. Look on the internet, or in the news papers. Get one second hand! Try thrift stores and yard sales.

2. I started out with think dinky little weight watchers scale. Not digital, teeny tiny little "plate" at the top (it was about the size of an apple) and I made this work for probably 6 months. I just wrapped all my food in saran wrap or a napkin or a coffee filter and weighed it. Sure, it was hard and you have to pay close attention, but it's worth it.
    That scale was probably 5 dollars max, and I bought it from a thrift store so I think it was 50 cents.

No excuses!

Good luck on your journey though, I wish you the best :)
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    a $20 food scale was the best purchase I ever made. I couldn't live with close enough... getting used to using the food scale can take time, but once you do, it'll be second nature. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! My vote is for a food scale!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used this site until I picked up my food scale: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    Depends how big your cup is...................