Anyone have a stuffed pepper recipe?

dmmarie21
dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I really want to make stuffed peppers, but, really don't like the normal ones, with rice and spaghetti sauce. It is just too bland to me. Does anyone have a really good recipe? I will probably use brown rice, but, I also have quinoa and cous cous and wheat berries. Thanks!

Replies

• sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Cous Cous is great and change it up with a white sour creme sauce( similar to what they use for chicken enchiladas) instead of traditional red! I mix in pimento and jalapeno pepper pieces for flavor. Use lowfat or light sour creme and thin it with water and 1% milk! Good luck and happy eating.
  • I love Eat Better America! I've made a bunch of recipes from that site and the family has loved everything. :)
    It's help with some of the recipes to tweak the seasonings up a bit but otherwise, everything has been great.
  • Made one recently without rice/starch in it: Southwestern Stuffed Peppers (Paleo Friendly)

4 large bell peppers, tops & seeds removed (fine dice the tops)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 - 2 cloves minced garlic
    3 small zucchini/squash, fine dice
    1 sweet onion, fine dice
    1 cup chopped mushroom
    1/2 bunch of kale, fine dice
    1 lb lean ground turkey
    1 - 2 Tbsp Chili Powder

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over med-high, saute garlic and onion until translucent, add zucchini, chopped pepper tops and mushroom, saute until soft, add kale and saute until beginning to soften. Remove from pan & set aside. In same pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and brown turkey meat until cooked through. Add chili powder, stir to combine. Put vegetables back into pan and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients. Stuff peppers, place in baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes.

These were so good. I put cheese on top of my husbands during the last 5 minutes of baking for extra calories for him, but they were excellent without. I served with oven roasted potatoes along side.

Nutritional Info for Stuffed Peppers (based off of MFP):

Cal: 350
    Carb: 29
    Fat:16
    Prot: 30
    Fiber: 7
    Sugar: 6

You could also vary this recipe with vegetables/spices of your choice.
This discussion has been closed.