15 Bean Soup

Options
Hey all, I was entering a recipe into MFP and was wondering about something. I entered in the Pork Hock it was almost 2000 calories..... If I am not eating the actual meat from it, but am using it only for flavoring, Do i need to count it still or? Is there really that many calories int he hock that I will consume? Never made this before, so new to me. Any opinions?

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    No.

It depends how many ounces it is. Do not go off of MFP database. Always double check by googling.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm confused.
    No I don't have to count it, but it depends on how many ounces it is?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to count it. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly.

Part of accurate logging is learning to find reliable database entries. Another part of accurate logging is weighing your food.

Edited to add read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Sorry guess that was ambiguous.

I mean the calories depends on how many ounces or grams it is.

For example, the ham hock is 4 oz its "this many calories." So weigh the ham hock, if no scale then go off of the package how many ounces and google the info for best guess as I'm assuming the package doesn't give nutritional info. However, I highly recommend getting a scale.

And again, never take MFT databases at face value. Always google other sources, more than one to come up with calories. If they match then cool. If they do not then make your own database.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Best to weigh the meat off the bone. The bone doesn't count though that is where a lot of the flavor comes from.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Best to weigh the meat off the bone. The bone doesn't count though that is where a lot of the flavor comes from.

I agree. When I cook beans and use hammock, turkey tails, knecks, etc, I weigh them without bone after cooking.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, thanks, that cleared it up for me, appreciate it!