Jillian Michaels Assessment & interpretive opinion

muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I did a little Julian Michaels profile thing online and here's what she had to say:

You're a slow oxidizer. Because you crave foods like fruit, bread, and crackers, you may be a slow oxidizer. This is the fancy term for your metabolic rate. It simply means that you burn through the nutrients in your food slowly and that energy production is therefore delayed. Fat and protein slow down your rate of oxidation and energy production even further. So to best serve your metabolism and feel energized both physically and mentally, you require foods with higher percentages of carbs. Your ideal meals and snacks should break down to a ratio of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat.

But the bottom line is, you have to burn more calories than you take in. That's it.

My question really revolves around this last statement.... does that mean that if I consume 1200 cals, then I need to burn more than 1200 cals? (arbitrary #'s). I did change my nutritional information to reflect her suggested percentages just to see what happens there.

Just curious to see what folks come up with in response to this.

Replies

• You have to take into account how many calories that your body burns naturally all day. For sedentary people like myself that number is between 2200 and 2000 calories a day. Which means if I eat 1200 calories a day, and still do not exercise, then I'm still burning 800-1000 calories more than I take in. Which should equate to about 2 lbs lost a week.

Now, when you add exercise and the extra calories it gives you, you should eat the extra calories to avoid your body going into starvation mode.

I signed up for Jillian Michael's website also, before I found MFP. There is a lot of great info on her site. As well as great recipes. I just like to eat some forbidden foods a little too much. :)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Yes, that's what it means. But don't forget that you burn a lot of calories every day without even working out! For instance: if I take in 1200 calories in food and don't exercise, I would still burn more calories than I ate because my BMR is around 1500 and I've been moving around during the day. So, without exercising, I burn over 1500 calories per day for a net loss of 300+. :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Yes, that's what it means. But don't forget that you burn a lot of calories every day without even working out! For instance: if I take in 1200 calories in food and don't exercise, I would still burn more calories than I ate because my BMR is around 1500 and I've been moving around during the day. So, without exercising, I burn over 1500 calories per day for a net loss of 300+. :)

I think that's my big stuck point. I have NO idea how much I burn each day.
    I think I need to get an HRM adn find out.... for real. That could be what's holding me up. What if (again, arbitrary here), I'm only burning 600 cals a day but I'm eating 1000..... there's an over-consumption in a big way! I'm not suggesting that I'm only burning that little, but you get the idea.
This discussion has been closed.