Fruits & Veggies Question

NewMe80xoxo
NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I was hoping someone on here could help me...I would love to find a website that tells me what veggies & fruits are in season and how to pick the goods ones!!! I;m so clueless when it comes to that! I can't tell how to tell if a canolope is good lol!!! By feelng and looking at it!

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    I was hoping someone on here could help me...I would love to find a website that tells me what veggies & fruits are in season and how to pick the goods ones!!! I;m so clueless when it comes to that! I can't tell how to tell if a canolope is good lol!!! By feelng and looking at it!

cantolope press on end where the stem was if slighly soft and a sweet smell
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    http://www.sustainabletable.org/shop/seasonal/

That will let you choose your location and season, then give you a list of what is in season and when.
    The knowing if things are good is a little more tricky though...other than asking people, I am not really sure. If there is a farmer's market near you try them, often the people selling and buying there are more than happy to impart some knowledge on how to tell if something is ripe/good or not.

(I have also been known to call the people I know that would have such information when I am well and truly stuck - they might laugh, but usually they will help you out!)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    I'm not an expert in the " seasson " stuff either - but.. the easiest way to tell for me is looking at the prices :)

When a lbs of peaches is 1.50 -1.80 $ i don't think it's in the season because i know " there is a time of the year where i can buy 2-4 lbs for 0.99 $ -
    Or grapes go from 2 $ per lbs- to 0.67 $

This is my way of telling " something is cheap now- so it must be in season :) ..

Watch the store ads and you will figure it out - esp. farmers markets they always have the " season stuff " on sale ..

The butternut squash and spaghetti squash i remeber paid one time at wal mart each about 7 .00 $
    i didn't know when the season is either but i wanted to try them out- last week at a farmers market i paid 1 $ each
    so i guess that's their season :)

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.