Am I a SELFISH person, need OPINIONS please!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    sounds like better boundaries-wake them up once and if they are not ready then you leave.
    Cooking or not cooking for them is irrelevant. I assume you cook for yourself and so it's not much effort to make a larger pot and they can eat it whenever. (I often cook enough for my son and he just microwaves it when he's ready).

And you are recognizing how abnormal your family is about food and weight. Locking the frige and counting the bars is not normal behaviour.
    Keep on with your studies and being healthy!
    You go girl!
  • thedecuirs
    thedecuirs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    People can't be forced to be healthy. You have to do what you need to do for you, and don't worry about them. If they want you to wake them to go to the gym, do so, for family. But only once. They are grown. If they can't get themselves out of bed and eat and be ready to go, then leave without them. You're not being selfish. But you should also remember a time when you were less motivated to get healthy and lead by example. Don't badger them, but don't coddle them either. Hopefully they will give you the same respect. Worst case scenario... they will give up before too long and you will have the gym to yourself. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    If they want to go with you, they will get themselves up & get ready in time to go when you go. Otherwise they are just making things difficult for you. It's not the end of the world if they have to take themselves. Natural consequences.

I do see where the pressure comes, but dragging them to the gym will just end up derailing you. Maybe they'll get inspired by your results & that will be a better way to help them (& yourself).

Personally, I've learned to be extremely stubborn and put my foot down about working out, giving more weight to others than to myself left me going NOWHERE (fitness- and otherwise) & just encourages babyfied "mommy wipe me" behavior from adults. Doesn't work. Oh man did I ever learn that lesson the hard way.

You can do it!