Premenopause Support

Options
I have been on MFP for 800 days, lost 25-30 pounds my first year. I log everyday and I am at a hard standstill with my weight. I love to exercise, 10 mile race in 2 weeks and my first 1/2 marathon Mid May. I am doing this to keep my activity level up as I just found out I am premenopausal and not very happy about this. Past year I have gained 15 pounds and have not changed what I am doing.

I looking for some friends that are in the same predicament or just plain motivating. I am 46 yrs old, had partial hysterectomy 2 years ago, ( that explains the title of this post) 5'5" and currently fluctuating between 153-156 for over a year. I had a taste of being 140 and I loved it, clothes fit, I could buy anything, now I am just stuffed in my size 8-10's.

I am trying carb cycling( first week) to see if I can break my spell, I just started lifting weights this week to increase my metabo. I have 1 bad habit that I need to break, a drink or 2 in evening but I make sure I work out and have the calories.

Want to be friends feel free to add and tell me a bit about you. I have a great support group now but looking for people in same situation or goal, or just want support.

Replies

• GrepolisSK
    Options
    I'm also 46, perimenopausal and have been putting weight on for 'unknown reasons'. I run regular, attend the gym, have a very active and on the go job. I joined here to try to accurately check my calorie intake and see if I could make any changes or difference by altering my diet in a measured way. Prior to this I have NEVER had to diet in my whole life, I was just naturally slim size 10. I'm now at the upper end of a size 12 and refuse to buy size 14 clothes.

I was recently diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension (genetic) and am now taking medication for this which may affect appetitie, so maybe I've just been eating too much or the wrong kinds of food.

Please keep in touch as we may be able to support each other and maybe find a solution.
  • MEEMAWMOWMA
    Options
    Hello and THANK YOU! You could almost be describing me. We have a lot of similarities, height, weight, aprox age( I am 52). I know that for almost 7 months, I thought I was in menopause, then it was back to a normal 25-30 day cycle for almost a year and now it is sporadic. That is not the bad part, it is the increase in the spare tire right under my bust when I sit down. I am short waisted and always carry my extra weight there, but it got to the point, where I was doing pregnancy tests.
    Like you I exercise and am conscience of my food/ calorie intake. I eat whole foods, 90% of the time. On the weekends, I like 2-3 glasses of wine and occasionally 1 or 2 during the week. I was so frustrated and felt that it wasn't fair that I had not changed my good habits, but my body was not where I liked it. About 4 weeks ago, I started really watching the portions, and wine intake. I also added some pilates type moves on the opposite days I did that I did my kettle bells or weights. I tried to add more cardio, even 15 minutes in the morning and using the stairs at work. I do feel and look a little leaner in the middle but it feels harder to do and frustrating. Like you I would love tips and to connect to other women who are feeling the same. We have 2 trips coming up and I want to wear my summer clothes with confidence, so I am hoping to get the support here to keep going! :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello :-)
    I'm Rachel,33 yrs old.current weight 135. (I know exactly what you meant when you mentioned the difference between 153 to 140, as far as clothes fitting!! It's hard to put to words, but I knew exactly what you meant) anyway, without blasting my medical history all over the internet, I've had some hormonal issues and doctor has told me to expect Assn early menopause. So I'm mentally preparing now. You can add me! :-)
  • campshelle
    campshelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I'm 46 years old and just recently got back into exercising the way I used to. It's always been my life but I couldn't afford the gym membership. I'm a single mom of a 12 year old little girl.

All of the symptoms are just coming on so fast and I never thought/realized I would feel this way. I need the support of other women going through the same thing. I think I just had my first hot flash also...grrrr.

It's not something I want to discuss with the women I work with nor the boyfriend. Any support is appreciated because this is not fun. At times, I have NO idea who is even SPEAKING out of my mouth because I'm so down right irritable (to use a nice word).

Looking forward to this message board.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and pre-menopause. I am 5'5 and stuck at 190lbs. I lift 2 days a week, yoga 2 days a week and cardio at least 3 days a week.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yep, lol, I'm in the same friggin boat! I'm 43, 5'5 and weigh 163 hoping to get down to 140 at least. Been dealing with this for about a year now. My periods have been very sporadic and have been getting the occasional night sweats and a little moody at times, haha. Thankfully my husband is a very patient and he's actually the one that figured this all out for me. As far as the weight loss I've always been very active and never had to worry about it. The last 9 years not so much and to add to that I started enjoying having drinks while out playing pool (played on a league, so quite a bit of going out). So here I am, 43 years old, at least 40 lbs over weight. I've just recently started counting my calories and exercising, etc but not getting any good results. I'm learning though and quite stubborn. I won't give up and I will figure out how to get to where I want to be. I've been wondering if having a few drinks on the weekends has been ruining my progress during the week. I would love to have some friends in similar circumstances so feel free to add me! :drinker:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yep, lol, I'm in the same friggin boat! I'm 43, 5'5 and weigh 163 hoping to get down to 140 at least. Been dealing with this for about a year now. My periods have been very sporadic and have been getting the occasional night sweats and a little moody at times, haha. Thankfully my husband is a very patient and he's actually the one that figured this all out for me. As far as the weight loss I've always been very active and never had to worry about it. The last 9 years not so much and to add to that I started enjoying having drinks while out playing pool (played on a league, so quite a bit of going out). So here I am, 43 years old, at least 40 lbs over weight. I've just recently started counting my calories and exercising, etc but not getting any good results. I'm learning though and quite stubborn. I won't give up and I will figure out how to get to where I want to be. I've been wondering if having a few drinks on the weekends has been ruining my progress during the week. I would love to have some friends in similar circumstances so feel free to add me! :drinker:

I found that although I'm not dropping a ton of weight, my body composition has changed. Lifting weights does that to ya lol I've increased my cardio, hoping that's the key.

I've also cut my carbs to 100g-150g a day.