Puzzled Vegan

Options
Hi - I'm pretty new to this site, and looking for some insight from other vegan dieters. I began a vegan diet about 3 !/2 months ago and lost 35 pounds without ever counting calories. I felt hungry and deprived for only the first four days, but since then, the vegan diet has been really satisfying and enjoyable.
Unfortunately, over the last month, the weight loss has been really slow. With 85 pounds to go, I still have a big adventure in front of me, and some things to figure out.
I've used this site off and on to track nutrients. I'm usually way under my fat allotment, and over my carb and sugar allotment - even though I don't eat white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. and don't drink juice or eat deserts. I've tried to cut back on fruits - but I'm still over the limit on sugar.
Are the goals stated on this site realistic for vegans? I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a long time; I don't track my sugar. From what people have said, the limit is really low, you eat one piece of fruit and it's over. I track cals, fat, carbs, and sodium. Unless you're diabetic I wouldn't worry about it.

Instead of doing it on and off, it really is worth it to log everything. Otherwise you stop losing and don't realise why.
  • rana_bear
    Options
    I'm always way over on my sugar and carbs also (sugar especially) but if these amounts are coming mostly from fruits and vegetables (as mine are) then i dont think u should worry to much. Maybe if your diet is heaps high in fruit then cut it back to 2-3 serves a day.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ranana. That's actually the advice my doctor gave me. She said I needed fruit in my diet, but I'm worried that these extra fruit sugars are to blame spiking my triglyceride level. I think I'll need to review what a "serving" is and cut back to 2 servings per day.
  • debplus4
    Options
    Try lowering the calorie density. Fill up on green and yellow veggies first before adding your starch. That way you fill up with the bulky filling foods for very little calories but get fully satisfied when you eat the starches last. It is also called front loading. Start with a salad with no added oil dressing. then eat your other veggies followed by the starch. Good luck. Check out Dr McDgouall . com, type that all together. Go to the forums and you will find a lot of stuff in Jeff Novick's forum. He is a RD and has tons of info. Remember, oil/fats are the most calorie dense foods you can eat while green and yellow veggies are the lowest. For what one tablespoon of oil can give you, you could eat an entire pound of veggies like zucchini, broccoli, carrots and much much more:-))