Lifting for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lifting for women = lifting for men- it's the same process- don't be fooled with this whole gender rubbish. there is no difference for how you train- you're goals and diet determine results and training.

1.) Educate yourself.
    > starting strength
    > Strong lifts
    > New Rules of Lifting
    > Strong Curves

Once you do this- you will have confidence in yourself that you know what you are doing.

2.) Practice form at home with your broom stick or PVC pipe

This will take some fear out as well because you'll have confidence in your actions.

3.) go in off peak hours- trying to go learn to do something at 5 PM on Monday is sensory over load- you'll be over whelmed instantly.

4.) Get some help- that's okay

5.) re-rack your weights

6.) be polite- don't be afraid to ask these questions if you need to.
    "can you spot me"
    " how many more sets do you have left"
    "can I work in"

Go forth.... be fabulous.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The first time, I went with my husband and he showed me the 4 major lifts. But the second time and almost every time after that for a year, I was on my own. If you're worried, talk to the gym and see if you can pay for a couple training sessions, but be clear that you're only interested in learning the barbell lifts for bench press, squat, overhead press, and dead lift (if your gym has bumper plates, that is). Otherwise, you'll be doing squats with barbie weights while leaning on a yoga ball against a wall.

Brand new to lifting? Start with a basics program, either Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. Learn the basic compound movements with the barbell first. As for how? Just pick up the books, read for a day or so, watch a few videos on youtube, and go try working with the empty barbell. If you can't bench press or overhead press with the empty barbell, most gyms have straight pre-weighted bars that start at 20 pounds and go up from there.

More likely than not, you will be left alone by everyone in the weights area. Smile and be nice to them, and you may end up making gym friends.

Machines are great, but they're all accessory moves. I use machines for targeted work, and I didn't put them in my program until I had gotten the basics down and had been doing them a while.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I got started by taking a beginning weight training class in college. Check out local community colleges (and possibly some universities) for continuing education courses which you can take without being an actual enrolled student. It wasn't a lifting for women class or anything, either, it was general lifting. The class was about half and half men and women, and actually taught by a woman. :wink:

Years later, I got a few sessions with a personal trainer. It was useful to get some one-on-one coaching to work specifically on my goals, and some of the information/ideas had changed or been updated.

It's also useful to look into New Rules of Lifting, Strong Lifts, or Starting Strength. They are all full-body programs involving compound lifts. I believe you can google Starting Strength and get it all free on the internet.

Don't be afraid of going into the "guys area." My experience is that guys actually like seeing a gal working on proper weight lifting, and are usually quite willing to lend a hand for a spot or a bit of advice if you ask (wait till they finish a set).

Just do it! :wink:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    At my gym there's a section with the free weights type stuff and an area along side it with all the weight machines. I am super intimidated by the free weights and wouldn't know where to begin with those, but the weight machines are awesome. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know if there's a difference in effectiveness or anything between the two. The free weight area is basically all dudes, but it's much more diverse on the machines- lots of women, older people, etc. When I joined they walked me through setup on a half a dozen of them, so I have a nice little circuit I can do when I go. If you have machines like that at your gym it might be worthwhile to ask someone to walk you though everything- even if you have to pay for a personal trainer session to get it.

Yes, actually you made me realize that the two are separate in my gym too, this is a good idea :) Thanks!

Sorry but no.
    All these success stories you read about amazing looking women, they are not using machines!
    Machines are only half (or less) as affective as free weights!
    The women you talk about go to the section of the gym with the guys. So do I.

I was intimidated as hell! But here are a few ideas in case you don't want to get a pt (although that's the easiest as he will go with you and show you how it's done properly so you are not alone and will do it right)

1. Have a plan (look into the new rules of lifting for women, Jamie eason's life fit or Stronglifts and read all about your chosen program so you know what you want to do before you go on)

2.scan youtube for proper form. Look up all the exercises you want to do and maybe even have a dry run with a broomstick at home. Again knowing what you are doing will help. You could also ask a trainer to look at the most difficult ones.

3. Man up. First time is hard!! I hated doing it. But it's like pulling off a plaster. Just do it, it won't get easier when you wait.

4. Make yourself more comfortable. Wear the shorts you feel best in at the gym. Get some music on the go. Whatever helps

And most importantly, re-rack your weights when you are done!! Will help your next visit :wink:

This. Free weights are going to get you what you looking for a lot faster and more efficiently than machines! It is scary the first time but go in prepared, with confidence and show those boys you belong there!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I just walked in there like I owned the joint. I was prepared though. I have a notebook (I still use) with my workout in it, and did my research on proper form on bodybuilding.com. They even have videos. Then I got with a friend for a workout routine plan. I still use a notebook to write my weights down so each week I know where to start and what weight to go up to. I recommend using a notebook.

Also, there is a lot of downtime when lifting while people rest between sets, so eyes wonder. But that doesn't mean anyone is staring at you or anything. Walk in like you own the place and do your thang. You got this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home so I never had to worry about working out in front of others.

I just started one day. I got lots and lots of info from books and internet. YouTube has great videos to show you the vast amount of lifts you can do and of course, proper form.

www.bodybuilding.com is a great site as well. Lots of info and videos.

Good luck!