Can I eat this if it's under my calorie goal

Options
I have 400 calories to spear and I am craving chocolate although I've already had a chocolate cake. My hubby has just got me a chocolate bar which is under 400 kcals, so technically it should be ok to eat and I will still lose weight if it's under my goal? tad confused as I see people on here who ban chocolate completely :s

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Some people will ban certain food like chocolate because they feel like they can't control their cravings once they start. However, as far as weight loss goes, you can eat anything you want as long as it is under your calorie goal and you will lose weight. It's all about the numbers.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Just make sure that it doesn't send you into a chocolate spiral lol :)
  • MummatoSkye
    Options
    Oh haha, I do love my chocolate and I'd find it impossible to ban it completely, so I'm going to enjoy this choclate bar and keep the numbers down!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If you can control yourself and stop After the serving, I don't see a problem with it. I'm planning on having ice cream later. It's all about portions and self control.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If you can control yourself and stop After the serving, I don't see a problem with it. I'm planning on having ice cream later. It's all about portions and self control.
    QFT!!

there is nothing wrong with including an indulgence in your diet, in fact its the only thing thats guaranteed to help you on your road to success!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats (like chocolate) into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight if you stay under your calorie goal. But you will lose weight faster if you don't eat back all your calories. Remember the feeling of wanting to lose weight? Doesn't that outweigh the temporary enjoyment of eating the chocolate bar? It might make you even happier to say no to it, plus you may feel like you are closer to your goals. I crave chocolate when I'm on my period, but instead of eating a chocolate bar, I add unsweetened cocoa to my coffee and yogurt. If you really must eat some chocolate maybe just have a bite or get some dark chocolate that isn't as full of sugar and fat. Good luck with whatever you choose. I was craving cookies yesterday, but I didn't eat them and I woke up today very glad I didn't ; )
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Well said! I agree that it helps our success if we don't restrict ourselves too much. The trick is staying within our calories & portion control. I don't trust myself to eat just a little, so I'm not there yet. I hope to soon be able to eat just one scoop!
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight if you stay under your calorie goal. But you will lose weight faster if you don't eat back all your calories. Remember the feeling of wanting to lose weight? Doesn't that outweigh the temporary enjoyment of eating the chocolate bar? It might make you even happier to say no to it, plus you may feel like you are closer to your goals. I crave chocolate when I'm on my period, but instead of eating a chocolate bar, I add unsweetened cocoa to my coffee and yogurt. If you really must eat some chocolate maybe just have a bite or get some dark chocolate that isn't as full of sugar and fat. Good luck with whatever you choose. I was craving cookies yesterday, but I didn't eat them and I woke up today very glad I didn't ; )

Ummm sorry, disagree with this
    mfp is set so that you have a goal - aim for that, eat the calories you're given, including chocolarte if you want. Having occasional treatrs like this has helped me stay wth it and keep losing

Eating back comes into the equation if you've got added calores from exercise - mfp is over generous with a lot of exercise calories so some people prefer to eat back only a half
  • LoveInnocent
    LoveInnocent Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think its completely fine to eat chocolate but unlike what people have said about the calories, its not always about the calories. You gotta make sure you've eaten healthy things and aren't eating too many fats especially if they are fats from chocolate. It does matter what you eat, but don't ever starve yourself, eat things you enjoy but always make sure to even it out with lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

But honestly, if you want chocolate, eat it. Just remember its all about moderation. Portion and serving control, break up the chocolate and eat it with some fruit like grapes, strawberries or blueberries. Try switching your chocolate intake to half dark chocolate too, make little mixes out of it with dark, milk, and fruit and you will fill up on that much easier but save a lot of fat and calories, and overall you will feel healthier.

I honestly believe you shouldn't deny your cravings, sometimes you need to because if you are like me you are constantly craving bad food but I've found that I am starting to crave healthier things. I don't believe in that whole give yourself a bad day once a week. I believe in giving in to your craving occasionally but eating other healthy things with it so you don't eat as much or making sure you control your intake by bagging up a serving size separately and putting the rest a way.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Ummm sorry, disagree with this
    mfp is set so that you have a goal - aim for that, eat the calories you're given, including chocolarte if you want. Having occasional treatrs like this has helped me stay wth it and keep losing

Eating back comes into the equation if you've got added calores from exercise - mfp is over generous with a lot of exercise calories so some people prefer to eat back only a half

+1. You are supposed to eat your calorie goal, not deprive yourself of foods that fit easily into your daily calories or come up with substitutions so you can create a calorie deficit above and beyond the one you already have. Weight loss doesn't have to be all toil and agony, if anything the goal is to find the maximum amount of calories you can eat and still lose weight.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    People who ban chocolate completely are absolute nutters in my book. :wink:
  • LoveInnocent
    Options

+1. You are supposed to eat your calorie goal, not deprive yourself of foods that fit easily into your daily calories or come up with substitutions so you can create a calorie deficit above and beyond the one you already have. Weight loss doesn't have to be all toil and agony, if anything the goal is to find the maximum amount of calories you can eat and still lose weight.

I agree with this, though I don't think its bad if you don't fill out your calorie goal if you are feeding your body and actually feel full. Like sometimes I really struggle to even eat 1200 calories but I am feeding my body and feel full. I eat a lot of fruits and egg whites both of which are low in calories and I fill up pretty easy on all that. That being said, if I work out I make sure I am eating more than 1200, I even got a protein shake just to add the extra protein and calories to be sure XD.
  • LoveInnocent
    Options
    People who ban chocolate completely are absolute nutters in my book. :wink:

that and I don't think they will last with their diet or gain it back later. Dark chocolate isn't even bad for you and any doctor will tell you chocolate is fine in moderation.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    as long as its within your calories dont worry about it, enjoy it :) dieting isnt about cutting out foods you enjoy anyways! its about finding a healthy balance
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've been eating chocolate every day for the past week and I've been losing weight since I'm under my calorie goal. Do it!!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I agree with this, though I don't think its bad if you don't fill out your calorie goal if you are feeding your body and actually feel full. Like sometimes I really struggle to even eat 1200 calories but I am feeding my body and feel full. I eat a lot of fruits and egg whites both of which are low in calories and I fill up pretty easy on all that. That being said, if I work out I make sure I am eating more than 1200, I even got a protein shake just to add the extra protein and calories to be sure XD.

If you are depriving yourself of food specifically for the purpose of being below your already created calorie deficit so you can lose more weight, yes, it is bad. That's not a healthy way to lose weight, and it's what the one poster was advising the OP to do. I'm not getting into a discussion about whether eating below 1200 calories, feeling full, and eating "healthy" is bad for you or not because it's just going to derail the thread into a train wreck. Because today is my rest day and I don't feel like sifting through that for the umpteenth time, goshdarnit.
  • LoveInnocent
    Options

If you are depriving yourself of food specifically for the purpose of being below your already created calorie deficit so you can lose more weight, yes, it is bad. That's not a healthy way to lose weight, and it's what the one poster was advising the OP to do. I'm not getting into a discussion about whether eating below 1200 calories, feeling full, and eating "healthy" is bad for you or not because it's just going to derail the thread into a train wreck. Because today is my rest day and I don't feel like sifting through that for the umpteenth time, goshdarnit.
    Oh no see I am not doing it to lose more weight, I WANT to make it higher, but I honestly am not hungry. I want to stick to around 1500 calories but its a struggle to even get to 1200, I have hypothyroidism and pcos though so its possible my body just digests very slow, but I don't believe in starving yourself, I just feel full.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat your calorie goal, not deprive yourself of foods that fit easily into your daily calories or come up with substitutions so you can create a calorie deficit above and beyond the one you already have. Weight loss doesn't have to be all toil and agony, if anything the goal is to find the maximum amount of calories you can eat and still lose weight.
    ^^^This.

You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Your MFP calorie goal has your deficit built in.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate everyday. It's a craving I can't seem to kick. I fit it in my calories and I'm still losing weight.

BUT!!! I once wanted some at lunch and to fit it meant less normal food and at Body Combat that evening I felt really weak. So if you're replacing meals with it and then working out bare in mind there's some sort of 'come down' from the sugar.