Just bagged up all my "bigger" clothes!!! Now what to do?

Options

Replies

• TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Donate the clothes! It is a great feeling to be rid of them and free up space in your closet for all your cute new clothes:). I did keep one pair of my biggest size pants just to remind myself how far I've come. It is crazy to stand in them and know they used to actually fit.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a women's shelter or other charity, but keep one pair of your largest pants. As you get smaller, you can try them on to see how far you've come.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Line your old clothes up from the biggest to the smallest (or if all the same size, the styles to hate to those you love)...divide them in 1/2 and take the largest/most hated to the Goodwill or other thrift store. While at the store look for a few items in your "new" size (or better yet, next smaller size).

It doesn't have to be all or nothing--but I expect you'll feel pretty good about getting some of those clothes out of your life and will find getting rid of the next batch easier (do it in 1/2 again if you must).

Hold on to a pair of your "biggest fat pants" and stick them on a hanger in the back of your closet. When you are having a "not so good" day...pull them out and try them on just to remember how far you've come.

Congrats on your great accomplishment! You've kicked over 100 pounds to the curb--getting rid of a some old clothes is no match for your strength!
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above GET RID OF THEM there is no reason to hold on to them. I'm in the process of doing this myself as nothing looks good on me anymore because I held on to my bigger clothes to long and was still wearing some of them. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS THAT'S AMAZING :D
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine...it felt great!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've already gotten rid of 2 bags and have 4 more bags sitting here ready to do. I still have some oversized stuff in my closet though. Some are for painting and gardening in, so I don't ruin my new stuff, and some are my favorites that I'm trying to decide if it's worth having them altered.

I have gone a little overboard in shopping lately and probably bought too much stuff in my current size, as now my new pants are getting too loose and will need to be replaced again soon. My problem is I work in a professional environment, so I need work clothes, casual clothes and now had to buy vacation clothes because none of my summer stuff fits. LOL

We have a local charity that makes a drive by every 3 months. I just put stuff on the curb with their tag on it when they are due and they pick it up.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I gave them to someone who needed new cloths . She is trying to lose weight also . I told her she can have all of my new ones too .... as I get out of them . I hope it inspires her to continue.
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of pants, and I donated or gave away all of the rest of my clothes.

Late last year, some of my pants started getting tight again, but instead of having bigger pants to start wearing again, I got motivated to get back at it, and I've lost 36 pounds since then. I was not going to go out, and buy another pair of bigger pants!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Having lost weight a few years ago and then gained it and some, my husband said, "your not going to chuck everything out again are you?" Hell YES!!!
    Like previous posters, keeping my biggest pair of trousers as a guide to how far I've come.
    Am slightly gutted about a few items but in the grand scheme of things.. HURRAH they don't fit.

I unfortunately have been a full range of sizes, and so have the smaller sizes in the loft, don't mind dragging them back out....
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How about you & I put our hefty bags together and RUN to DONATE them together! Just empty my drawers today...again too!!! I was holding on to some, now I'm letting them all go and making way for the new stuff!!!! GO US!!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I kept a couple business shirts just in case I didn't do laundry.

Once I didn't do laundry, and I wore it. It was wayyy to big and hanged down like a dress.

My boyfriend walked in the house and was all like "You look AMAZING!"

I was confused, cause it was like, 3x, but I wear a medium or large now.

I'll take it that he liked the color. It was a cute color.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I gave all mine away! No point in keeping them. I lost the weight and have no plans on it ever showing back up again
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a women's shelter or other charity, but keep one pair of your largest pants. As you get smaller, you can try them on to see how far you've come.

This!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had three large friends and coworkers I shared the clothes with.

I REALLY wish I could do this! My problem is that I think all of my friends would be super offended by this.

I have been given clothes twice in my life "because they were too big" for the original wearer -- two different people. I was SO embarrassed both times, although I played it off like I wasn't. So, I would never give someone my fat clothes. "Hey, I'm too small for these now, but you're still fat! Want 'em!?"

I had four big garbage bags full, too. I gave them to a homeless shelter. And I was thrilled to get those things out of my life (and my closet)!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    To get a little more bang for your buck (assuming you need new, smaller clothes) you could take anything that is brand name, relativity in season, and in good condition to a resale shop. You could take the cash if they accept any pieces, but you typically can also get a higher value in store credit so you could then shop for new things. If you have anything designer, consider consigning it! I am all for giving to charity but you have to take care of yourself, too. :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Donate them. Don't keep them just sets you up for failure.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    unless you have some really expensive pieces in there I would get rid. What is the worse that can happen? If it all went wrong and you really did gain again would you really want to wear clothes years out of date but if all goes to plan then you will never fit them again anyway. I just mentioned the expensive stuff but you might be able to get that taken in or adapted for now too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I had three large friends and coworkers I shared the clothes with.

I REALLY wish I could do this! My problem is that I think all of my friends would be super offended by this.

I have been given clothes twice in my life "because they were too big" for the original wearer -- two different people. I was SO embarrassed both times, although I played it off like I wasn't. So, I would never give someone my fat clothes. "Hey, I'm too small for these now, but you're still fat! Want 'em!?"

I had four big garbage bags full, too. I gave them to a homeless shelter. And I was thrilled to get those things out of my life (and my closet)!

Yeah I get that totally! I have only been given clothes once and I was offended, though not by the size so much as the style. I was 24 and the clothes were an outfit with little ladybugs and gingham that was ordered for a woman in her 60s. At the time, I was upset that she thought I would wear it.

I definitely won't offer anyone my clothes now, after my friend seemed weirded out. I did lose weight once before, not as much as this time, but a considerable enough amount that I had some too-big stuff, and I gave it to a friend during her pregnancy. She was grateful and not at all offended by it, as she's an Amazon several inches taller than me and was 7-8 months into a hard pregnancy so she needed 2X/3X nightwear and lounge pants.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the weight u have lost. It is so liberating to be able to give away ur fat clothes. U will feel great afterward!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!

I agree with the notion of getting rid of the clothes. You don't want to give yourself a fall back.

Donate and get a tax write off. Or use consignment. I use the consignment method and use any money I make towards new clothes.

I am being pretty minimalistic at the moment - just getting a few pieces to tide me over as I continue losing.

I think it is also important for me psychologically to get smaller clothes so I and others can see the changes in my body. I can also get used to buying smaller clothes at a different and wider array of stores. I lost a large amount of weight once before and waited way too long to get newer, smaller clothes. Once I got new ones I was overwhelmed by the attention and comments of people as well as the wide variety of stores I could now shop in.

(Actually you must have been reading my mind. I just went through my closet this weekend and I have all the old clothes bagged up and ready to go to consignment.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!