Hot yoga,bikram, and calories burned

Options
I started hot yoga a month ago and been trying to find out how many calories 60 min would count as.
When i started i was really out of shape and the heat with the exercises was hard to do and exhausted me a lot more than a brisk walk would do. Now its no longer as hard but it sure gets my heart pumping faster than my walks that according to MapMy Walk burns 350 calories in 60 min. I done the yoga at home and it is easier when not in a hot room but still feels about the same as my walking does.

When i search the net i get a very different result that states that bikram burns any where from 200-750 calories so i set it to same as my walks but i would love to know more and to know how much it in reality is.

Does any one know? thx :happy:

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with whatever MFP gives you for yoga and stick with that for 4-6 weeks and see how you lose on that
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 148lbs and 90 mins of intense active hot yoga using my HRM burned 230 cals. Despite what websites say I dont think hot yoga produces crazy calorie burns as your HR fluctuates a lot throughout, rather than being constantly high like when you run for example.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 148lbs and 90 mins of intense active hot yoga using my HRM burned 230 cals. Despite what websites say I dont think hot yoga produces crazy calorie burns as your HR fluctuates a lot throughout, rather than being constantly high like when you run for example.

Well just to point out - HRMs are supposed to be used for steady rate cardio which doesn't include yoga.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'd just log it as 100 and call it good.
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thx Elegra2006.
    As I'm only a bit bigger than you are i would guess my burned calories would be about the same.

Have you ever used the HRM when doing the same yoga but not in a hot room?
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Nillalis - yeh, I have and it was round about the same. I don't think the heat made a difference to heart rate but it definitely lets you stretch further etc. I know the HRM measurement is not an exact science but at least good for an indicator.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    HRM's are designed for steady state cardio. Since yoga is more anaerobic than aerobic, HRM's inaccurately read actual caloric output.
    Wear an HRM to a scary movie. I'll guarantee the calories it stated you burned through a 2 hour movie are incorrect.

On average, burn is about 300-400 calories for an hour to an hour and a half of any type of yoga.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thx to both of you and i know it really doesn't matter how many calories it burns but the more calories something burn per hour the higher my motivation to do it becomes.

so if yoga is 100 calories per hour i think well its only 100 no big deal if i skip it even if i know its good for me. if its 350 calories i think wow thats a lot i don't want to miss burning 300 calories get your but moving and do it its only 1 hour.
    one day maybe when i been doing exercise for a lot more months then i have i might not need to believe it burns lots of calories to get my self extra motivated but as it is now i do. :tongue: