Trying to lose weight: possibly Type II

Options
I've been testing my blood glucose level lately because 1) I have a history of hypoglycemia, 2) my family has a history of diabetes, and 3) I've been feeling "funny." My glucose levels have been elevated and I have an appointment to get an A1C test done. I am trying to start a weight loss program, whether or not I have Type II diabetes, since I know I will feel better. My question is, what should I be tracking? Are the default settings for the food tracker okay? I already have a pretty active lifestyle and will be increasing my activity, so I'm not terribly concerned about that part of it, but I'd like to start a toning-type of exercise program for myself, something I could do in a few minutes in the morning, in the eventing, or both?

If anyone has some helpful suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Replies

• angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm Type II and try to keep my carbohydrates down. I eat a fair amount of meat, eggs, and milk products. Also green, red, orange, and yellow vegetables. My diary is open (if I recall correctly) if you want to look at it. I've been not as good the last couple of days because it was the weekend but not terrible. Good luck!
  • tomarboyd
    tomarboyd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and have lost 32 pounds in the last two months. I keep an eye on my total carbs and try to make sure that they are lower glycemic carbs. My A1C is now below 6.5 and I have been able to cut down on my medication.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was at a high a1c...but its been in normal range for about 2yrs now..by keeping my carbs at or around 180g per day...things like pasta breads fruit juice rice crackers cookies etc....can really raise your glucose levels
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Tomarboyd! I'll take a look at your diary in a bit, as I suspect it will be helpful.

What are some "good" (low glycemic) carbs? Is there a particular quantity/percent I should shoot for? I have a suggested intake of 1300 calories/day . . . ouch! LOL
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I was at a high a1c...but its been in normal range for about 2yrs now..by keeping my carbs at or around 180g per day...things like pasta breads fruit juice rice crackers cookies etc....can really raise your glucose levels

Thanks! I noticed that about pasta,, bread, and rice (which, unfortunately, are three of my favorite things to eat). Fortunately, I've been cutting back on baked good, candy, and the like over the last couple of years and I've never been a big fruit juice drinker. I think the pasta and the rice will be the hardest things to give up. :(