Running and gaining.

I have been running for 3 weeks now and still puffy, pants tight and scale is up a few lbs. Why is this happening? I log and measure and eat a paleo based diet. I am eating at tdee. I just want thin thighs not the massive trunks they have become. I am at a normal weight so I wasn't trying to lose but was for sure not wanting to gain!!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Open your diary and we'll be able to tell you.

Although, if you're eating to maintain, chances are it's water weight. Muscles retain water when you work them hard. People tend to bounce up a few pounds when they intensify or change up their workout routine.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    That happened to me when I first started running. Just keep at it and the scale will start to move downward. You are building muscle in your legs when you run. How often are you running and for how long? Maybe interval running for a stretch Good luck Running helped me break my plateau.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    That happened to me when I was running a lot simply because I'd retain water/have slightly swollen legs after every workout. It got less intense as the running got easier, but I'd still see a change, especially right after my run (always depressingly puffy in the post-workout shower...). If you want to test if it IS water, take a few days off and the scale should come down as well as the inches.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    -
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    What the others said - definitely water/inflammation in your muscles from working out. I notice that after I have a hard run or other exercise - the day after I'm up on the scale (or at least not down) and then the next day I pee a lot and hte following morning I am down on the scale. So at least for me, it really is water weight and/or inflammation and then eventually your body will get rid of the excess - you'll know it is happening if you notice you have to pee a lot one day :)