rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Yea, I would have gotten after my husband for not standing up for me probably.

Worst experience I had was a really (and I mean REALLY) good looking guy come up to me and say, "wow! You are so beautiful. It is too bad you are fat, if you could just fix that you would totally be a 10!" ... and then walked off.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    reading here just reminds me how much people SUCK.

I've had people make comments that made me feel ****ty about my weight, but i've been lucky that they've only been indirect. if you say something fully about my weight to me, we're likely to meet fists. and i'm a chick who doesn't like violence.

just this week, i met with a physical trainer at a hospital/health service company who I told that i had lost 50+ lbs. and that i run a lot and plan to continue further (which is why i was there to have my gait analyzed - my left leg hurts when i run so i wanted to know why) and he said something like "I assume you're not done yet" and I decided to take it as a compliment...that if I'd bothered to put in the work so far, i would wanna keep going...and i do. The old me would have been super duper offended, but i decided to take it as the health advice it was meant to be.

And he's right. I've got so long to go with my health. I hope to eventually squat above 300 (currently at 145) and run at least a 5k in 25 mins (if i really killed myself, i might be able to do 32 minutes, maybe), not to mention I'd love to knock my BF% down by about 10%.

In my adult life i haven't heard anything directly to me. I did once hear some crappy comment at the gym this year, but it actually was a compliment to me and a negative to a lady near me (some sort of she's the "pre" and I'm the "post" and I was pissed on her behalf and grateful on my behalf) but I didn't actually see who said it, just heard it behind me so I didn't make it a thing.

I often take over the single squat rack in my small gym and see a lot of looks about a 'weak' woman taking over the lifting equipment for a while and can't wait for some *kitten* to say something quietly so i can loudly make them look like an *kitten*, but it hasn't happened just yet.

anyways, you all are AWESOME. keep doing what you're doing. DO IT.

when i started this, i was told the best thing anyone could ever tell someone when doing this:

This will likely be the most selfish thing you've ever done. SELFISH. You will focus on yourself in a way that you've never done. You will think about how you eat, look, feel. You will focus on it. You will learn to listen to yourself, your body, your everything. And it will be great. You will feel awesome, but even better, your selfishness will mean that you can offer more of yourself to those in your life. The end result of your selfishness is the opposite. You will participate more in others lives. You will be more than willing to go on adventures, you will smile for photos when people want to see you, you will say yes to that bike ride, yes to that 5k, yes to whatever life throws at you because you finally realize you are awesome.

SO BE SELFISH. F* the A*holes in the meantime. Own This. Own Yourself. Get it. YOU ARE WORTH IT.
  • onmyway57
    onmyway57 Posts: 22
    Options
    Ok so I am in Memphis TN and u southern girls don't talk about weight so for sure she is not one of us....We call girls like me Healthy LOL
  • celestebcardenas
    Options
    Someone said i would never get a job unless I lost weight. That hurt me because I am having trouble finding work and for that to be said just hit me really hard.
  • willtanner
    Options
    a kid once pointed at my partner's belly and asked her "is there a baby in there or just food?"
  • Dschnei475
    Dschnei475 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get you would be so beautiful if you lost Weight all the time. Also you should really get that lap band surgery. All from family.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big kid at all but on a hike my teacher commented that it was going to be good for me, help me to get slimmer, I was 7 from then the hits just kept coming, Mum, pointing out my weight, my little extra around the middle, which is how my body just is...I have had people yell at me in the street calling me heifer (female cow), and pig, spitting on me, I have had people tell me how I shouldn't be allowed to wear a swimsuit when I was a teen...I was then 58kg with an eating disorder (I never got very low in weight). I had a husband that would buy me weight loss kits for my birthday, workout gear for my christmas present, and boxing gear for another birthday, I wasn't really into any of that much back then. a couple of years into marriage I was eating out of spite and putting on weight from anti-depressants before that didn't help...I have had people tell me I can't possible fit this or that cos I am so fat, I have had soooo many people ask when my due date was. I have had heaps of people describe as the fat friend, men in clubs say nasty things to me. So apparently I am supposed to have a healthy view on my body...It's hard to believe you are beautiful when it's been a life long time of people telling you how big you are even when you aren't
  • mayancoh
    mayancoh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A lady at work asked me if I was pregnant!! I wanted to die…. My husband and I got married almost a year ago and here in Israel some people expect you to go ahead and have kids right away… I was mortified
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    my WITCH of a sister in law, who is about 40lbs heavier than me, asked if I was comfortable with how large my thighs are.

i responded with "i'm comfortable enough to know not to dip my nose into other peoples business"

the first and only comment she said about my weight.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A patient of mine that i had seen at the beginning of last year in January came back around October or so. I probably had gained 6 kgs or so because i just had a miscarriage. I dont think i was fat. I weighed 59 kg at the new weight. She told me ''O girly youre so fat i didnt even recognize you, what are you eating''. I think its very rude when people just say things without thinking. I was going through something and she had no idea. And most of the time there is a good reason why someone is gaining. Whether shes comfort eating. Whatever.

And by the way, she was HUGE. But i didnt judge her!

Oh yes you did. You judged her by writing this comment about her.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A woman pointed at me and said out loud to her friend... "If I ever look like that, kill me."

I'm so sorry. How hurtful that must have been. All of these stories are so sad. Wow. Humanity.
  • fuzilojak
    fuzilojak Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My previous boss told me my speed and quality would improve if I lost weight. I did art and animation for video games. :\

I reply, "I gained the weight due to the stress and lack of sleep of working for you so I think this environment might be why I might not be performing at my best."

awesomeness. What did he say?

I also ask him how it made me less creative.

He tried to back peddle and said something about me not having a lot of energy, because I had fallen asleep at my desk a few days earlier. Again, I pointed to my work environment and he changed the subject. :)
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    My previous boss told me my speed and quality would improve if I lost weight. I did art and animation for video games. :\

I reply, "I gained the weight due to the stress and lack of sleep of working for you so I think this environment might be why I might not be performing at my best."

awesomeness. What did he say?

I also ask him how it made me less creative.

He tried to back peddle and said something about me not having a lot of energy, because I had fallen asleep at my desk a few days earlier. Again, I pointed to my work environment and he changed the subject. :)

Wow you have some awesome balls mate!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Too many to post about.

Told I'd be prettier if I lost a few pounds. I was a size 12
    Told I was chubby. I was a size 8
    Given diet book at work by co workers.
    Every thing I ate at work was scrutinized. I would eat a piece of fruit. Eating healthy today aren't we. Or if I dared have a biscuit at an afternoon tea, dirty looks.

I tried ignoring but I have found F Off and MYOB and aren't you rude, work perfectly. They don't mention your weight again when you say that to them.
  • gingers_havesouls
    Options
    Grandpa: "You need to lose weight or get a bigger horse"
    Old Boss: "You're lucky, God sent me this saddle that was big enough for you, I don't think we had one before now."
    Aunt: "You'd be so pretty if you just lost some weight."
    Random stranger driving by in his car as I jogged down the street one morning: "Run Fatty, run!"
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Let's see...I've been told I'm skeletal, scary-looking, and I've been compared to emaciated people in Somalia, among other things.

All that, and I'm not even skinny. I'm at a normal weight for my height (something I keep trying to explain). It makes me wonder and fear, if I ever do become skinny what will they think or say :/
  • HConto
    HConto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just remember that when someone makes a comment about your weight that is so degrading it makes them look bad inside and out....not you in any way. Especially said in front of other people. Losing weight and getting healthy is for you and you alone. Anyone trying to lose weight and get in shape or those that are just thinking about certainly do not need anyone else to point out flaws and opinions as we have our own about ourselves. Surround yourself with a good support system not haters. Before I started my weight loss journey I was always asked when I was "due" always made me feel horrible. At the end of the day no matter who says what positive or negative I am the only one that can get me to my goals.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Some drunk homeless guy: "Hey man where da gym at"?
    ME: "Excuse Me"
    Some drunk homeless guy: "How much you weigh bro"
    ME: 'Bout 200 pounds'
    Some drunk homeless guy: "huh, at your height you should only be about 150 to160 pound, when you get old like me you gonna have all sorts of problems"
    ME; "Not as many problems as you got, but I'll take it under advisment"
    Some drunk homeless guy: bertstare
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My mom is the source for any and ALL of the rude comments I have ever gotten.
    "You'd be so pretty if you lost some weight."
    "You looked so pretty back then...what happened?" (Again, talking about me gaining weight)
    "You're never going to get a boyfriend"
    And then various comments of parts of my body that are too big. Also she will look me up and down and make this horrible disapproving noise.

My mom does that too! I had lost 80lbs at one point because I was having major issues with dysautonomia and GERD and she was so happy. Then I gained back weight and she was like "I can tell you've gained weight because your face is big." "I wonder if you fit in those clothes I bought you." "How much have you gained?" Now I've lost nearly 30lbs and she keeps asking me if I am eating and things like that. I can't win either way. My nana also used to make comments about my weight and how pretty I'd be if I just lost some weight. And I remember my gram making a comment years ago when I was in HS and had gained a lot of weight about how I had looked so pretty and what happened?!
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Around 10+ years ago, I was working at a gym answering phones and there was some kind of event going on. This guy, who I didn't even know, came up to me and said "You know Atkins really works. You should try it."

Why do people think they can even suggest a way to lose weight? Unsolicited advice is never welcome in my book.

PS My dad said to me once, in a whisper, when I was about 10 years old, "I hope you never get as big as your mother".