Running and gaining.

I have been running for 3 weeks now and still puffy, pants tight and scale is up a few lbs. Why is this happening? I log and measure and eat a paleo based diet. I am eating at tdee. I just want thin thighs not the massive trunks they have become. I am at a normal weight so I wasn't trying to lose but was for sure not wanting to gain!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Most likely you're retaining water. However 3 weeks is on the outside of how long that should last-- what's your height and weight, how many calories are you eating and are you eating back exercise calories?

If you're comfortable please open your diary.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    TDEE is an estimate. Your actual TDEE is probably lower than the estimated TDEE. If you're gaining weight you're over your maintainence level. If you want nice legs, I'd recommend lifting not running.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    You're healing. When you do any kind of exercise you tear the muscle, it then needs to heal. While you're healing it'll be slightly larger because there's blood, water and all sorts of other good stuff going to that area. You're also probably gaining because of the healing will cause a little water retention. It will go away.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    You're healing. When you do any kind of exercise you tear the muscle, it then needs to heal. While you're healing it'll be slightly larger because there's blood, water and all sorts of other good stuff going to that area. You're also probably gaining because of the healing will cause a little water retention. It will go away.

This. And if you still have quite a lot of body fat, then your muscles will be getting a little bigger, but you will still have a layer of fat over the top, so the initial effect is that your legs look a bit bulkier. As you progress on your weight loss journey you will lose fat and slim down overall :-)