Look at my diary please??

Options

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't magically make you lose weight..... And I am surprised at alot of the answers in this thread.

You DO NOT have to eat enough protein to lose weight.

You are overeating and not creating a caloric deficit.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Given your stats, you should be getting the following: WATER – 84 oz. during the day – more when you exercise. Protein – 120grams of lean protein a day. Your Resting Metabolic Rate is ~1663 so eating at a deficit (say 1500) should produce a gradual and sustained weight loss. I would cut back (or out) most of your simple carbs and sugars to go along with the above. Log everything you eat and eat everything you log!
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Define working out "intensely" Are you only using scales or are you taking measurements. Are you lifting or doing mainly cardio. I work out intensely with weights, and my hope is to get leaner by losing fat and gaining muscle, and since muscle is heavier than fat I don't expect to lose any weight.
    I think you need to break the carb/sugar cycle, you have an awful sweet tooth, as did I last year. Now I genuinely prefer to eat a bowl of fresh veggies and tuna to bread/cake/sugar. I eat a lot of fish, along with cottage cheese, eggs and low fat Greek yogurt ( I used to add honey when I first started with this but not now) . Protein helps me stay fuller longer, and the quantity of veggies I eat mean I can literally eat all day if I want to.
    MFP will not put you under 1200 calories, no matter what your goal, because it is not safe, its hard to get nutritional balance with less. Plus if you exercise you need to eat back most of those calories. If you don't eat enough, you can end up levelling out, I am not literate enough to explain why, I just know it happened to me last year, I plateaued for a few weeks, then I did some research, upped my calories, and started to lose again.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.........

This comment is really full of misinformation.
  • BillRicks1
    Options
    Protein doesn't magically make you lose weight..... And I am surprised at alot of the answers in this thread.

No, you don't HAVE to eat enough protein to loose weight, however a good source of sufficient protein is needed to build/retain muscle mass.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer spreading my calories out a little better. I also try not to drink my calories.
  • dmenchac
    Options

No, you don't HAVE to eat enough protein to loose weight, however a good source of sufficient protein is needed to build/retain muscle mass.

Correct, but the point of her thread was to claim that she wasn't losing weight because of a lack of protein.

Which is 100% incorrect.

She isn't losing weight because she is overeating and not creating a deficit.
  • BillRicks1
    Options
    [/quote]

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.........

This comment is really full of misinformation.
    [/quote]

You are correct, an ounce of muscle weighs the same as an ounce of fat. It is however about 1/3 the volume.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    - You typically won't build muscle while losing weight, you can only hope to maintain it. Lose the weight then build the muscle.
    - Your protein intake should help you feel fuller but as long as you eat at a deficit you should lose weight.
    - Eat the cake. See the above point for the rest.
    - You can't out-exercise a bad diet. Others have said this because it's true. Pay attention to what you are eating.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience in the past (though I had to deactivate my account to try to get the mobile app to work) but clean eating is the only way to go. What I try to do is not eat food that I have not prepared myself. I am struggling today with my processed oatmeal that I ate in a pinch for time this morning. Try cutting out stuff like rolls and processed foods. Take each item you would normally eat and replace it with a healthier version. You did not log lunch yesterday. Did you skip lunch? It seems like you are eating junk here and there and making up for it by skipping meals. It isn't all about calories but sugars and carbs play a part too.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food with electronic/digital scales; this is crucial and will become 2nd nature really quickly. You are not eating very much for the calories you are consuming ( presuming it is correct which it may not be if you are not logging correctly) you can eat a lot of food even on a lower calorie diet by making healthier, smarter choices; lots more veg, lean protein,wholegrains and dairy. Basically good quality nutrition is key esp if you are exercising a lot.
    Log what you drink: I've notice people often miss this out but it can really add up.
    Losing 2 lb a week is very hard to do , think about lowering it. Its about ( for me anyway) long term sustainable weight loss and a permanent lifestyle change.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    I have a question also. How are you tracking your frozen meals because there is no way that a frozen dinner has zero sodium. Sorry, I am really big on watching my sodium so it's something I always look at.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that my food logging is definitely not accurate as I do have to guess on some things I put it. I know my exercise is accurate though. I use Map My Fitness and time them. I ride a wind resistant bike for 30 minutes, do 20 minutes on weights and abs, then another 30-45 minute kickboxing routine. It's definitely an intense workout. I'm honestly more focused on that than my food.
    Losing weight is about calories, so if you're only focusing on your calories out through working out you are missing a huge part of the overall picture.

Your title is "Look at my diary please??" Yet your diary is incomplete and inaccurate. I think you know the answer already.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience in the past (though I had to deactivate my account to try to get the mobile app to work) but clean eating is the only way to go. What I try to do is not eat food that I have not prepared myself. I am struggling today with my processed oatmeal that I ate in a pinch for time this morning. Try cutting out stuff like rolls and processed foods. Take each item you would normally eat and replace it with a healthier version. You did not log lunch yesterday. Did you skip lunch? It seems like you are eating junk here and there and making up for it by skipping meals. It isn't all about calories but sugars and carbs play a part too.

Clean eating is not the only way to go. It's about a calorie deficit. How the OP gets there is up to her. She won't know if she's in a calorie deficit if she isn't logging food. Clean eating might HELP you get a calorie deficit, but its not the "only way".
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    I'm sure that my food logging is definitely not accurate as I do have to guess on some things I put it. I know my exercise is accurate though. I use Map My Fitness and time them. I ride a wind resistant bike for 30 minutes, do 20 minutes on weights and abs, then another 30-45 minute kickboxing routine. It's definitely an intense workout. I'm honestly more focused on that than my food.

What you put into your stomach is just as important (if not more so) as the stuff you make your body do.
  • natlierees
    natlierees Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looks like lots of sugar and some junk food in there e.g. pizza and cheeseburgers maybe a bit more cooking at home and more salads and steak or fish and chicken, water intake looked low - unless your not logging it?

HTH
    Nat
    x
  • k_nicole87
    Options

Clean eating is not the only way to go. It's about a calorie deficit. How the OP gets there is up to her. She won't know if she's in a calorie deficit if she isn't logging food. Clean eating might HELP you get a calorie deficit, but its not the "only way".

I did not mean it was the only way to go. I didn't even realize I said that until you posted it. I think what I meant is that for me it is the only way to go. Nothing else has ever worked for me the way clean eating has.
  • biffmon
    biffmon Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I don't recall anyone saying that it magically makes you lose weight... I think people are saying (including me) that it's an important part of your diet that shouldn't be ignored.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

DING DING DING...

You don't log accurately, you don't want to log accurately & you over estimate your calories burned. It's all numbers, if you aren't losing weight you are eating too much - either because you are over estimating exercise or underestimating calories.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my foods. Don't really want to fool with that honestly.

This is your problem.

Regarding your calories burned for exercises- are you going off of MFP's estimates for your exercises or are you wearing a HRM? If you're not using a HRM, buy one with a chest strap. This will give you a more accurate calorie burn. If you're going to continue to use the MFP estimates (which are normally on the higher end) only eat back 25%-50% of those calories.

ETA: fixed typo
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You are doing something right if you are seeing a difference in your measurements.