"Generic" foods

deannc1
deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
Hey there everybody. I am wondering if anyone knows just how accurate the nutritional information is on foods labeled generic in the database. I select that heading if I cant find a particular brand name. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It's going to vary - some products are pretty similar from brand name to brand name but some may be completely different and in general, some listings are just flat our wrong due to typos, out of date info, omissions, etc. Use the nutritional label on the product you have at hand to determine how accurate it is or check on other websites like USDA's database. If you can't find one similar enough, add your own listing to the food database.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Hey there everybody. I am wondering if anyone knows just how accurate the nutritional information is on foods labeled generic in the database. I select that heading if I cant find a particular brand name. Thanks in advance.

I've found it's usually pretty accurate. I double check the first time by going to the web and doing a search for nutritional information if the food I have in my hand isn't labelled. If it's a manufactered food, they usually have the nutritional info on the web. If it's a fruit, veg, meat, something like that, it's doubtful that the numbers will be exact, but they should be close.