HELP!!

Options
My story in a nutshell: I lost 91lbs. I hit my goal weight last June so It's been almost a year. In the summer and fall I was running a lot. When the weather was getting cold I tried to keep it up at the gym but I ended up having almost 2 months where I didn't exercise at all. I adjusted my calorie intake during that time and didn't gain anything. Almost a month ago when the weather started getting nicer I started running again. Since I started running again I've gained about TEN POUNDS! I expected to gain some since I figured I'd be building more muscle but ten pounds seems like a lot! Is that normal?? I'm kind of freaking out! I've gone this whole process with no gains aside from the 5lbs I fluctuated in during maintenance. I'm not eating much different than I always have. I picked up my calorie intake a little when I started running again but still don't go over what I used to eat before I stopped running in the winter.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting?

The answer is pretty straightforward - drop back your calories a little until you're comfortable with your weight again. It's easy to regain if you change your calorie intact and don't change your exercise or you change your exercise and don't change your calorie intact. Lots of people gain in the winter. It's spring now.

You've done terrifically well. You can do it again.
  • cmwest2013
    Options
    Are you looking at what your calories are coming from? This could make a difference. Also I noticed when I would eat protein bars as snacks instead of clean real food, I gained a little. I look at my macros daily to try and keep them in check. Maybe take a look at that. :)
  • samyadas
    samyadas Posts: 9
    Options
    it doesn't matter where calories are coming from. the absolute amount is determinant in weight loss/gain/maintenance.
  • cmwest2013
    Options
    I respectfully disagree you cannot eat all of your calories from fat and not expect to gain some weight. :)
  • samyadas
    samyadas Posts: 9
    Options
    if you count calories, you'll gain same weight gain/loss from iso caloric intake of any macronutrient. actually, protein has a higher thermic effect than carbs or fat, but I think the gist of what i'm trying to convey is obvious.
  • cmwest2013
    Options
    I hear what you are saying. I have recently lost 80 lbs. I did not start logging in to MFP until the last 50, but this has just been my experience. I notice when my fat and carb intake is higher my weight would fluctuate more. I do not have the credentials to back it. I have to say that I will have to google much of that. I find it fascinating and want to get my personal training, nutritionist certification, but still have a lot to learn. :) Thanks for sharing. :)