Moving on after overeating

Options
How do you recover after a bad eating incident? I literally just ate my calorie intake for the day in 10 minutes (1500 calories from consuming pumpkin and cream cheese bread). I ran four miles earlier, but I feel awful. I didn't eat 100% well over the weekend, but thought come Monday I would stop. I want to blame stress slightly, but I know I"m ultimately responsible- my husband is thinking of changing jobs and we may move in the next couple months. Any tips regarding getting back on track would be welcome. Thank you! :embarassed:

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    be moderate with the rest of your food for the day- but still eat
    go for a walk tonight- (walking always makes me feel better)
    and do better tomorrow.

it happens.

just make tomorrow a new day. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log it accurately & honestly, then move on.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    and do better tomorrow.

it happens.

Solid advice. I agree!

Definitely don't fast for the rest of the day. Your body needs food to fuel itself and if you try to just go the rest of the day on that pumpkin and cream cheese bread already consumed, you will probably be pretty miserable.

Saturday I had a Danish from Starbucks for breakfast and gyro with all the trimmings (including tzatziki, 1/2 order of French fries and a stuffed grape leaf) for lunch. I'm on a fairly strict calorie allowance and only got a moderate amount of exercise, so I seriously just had 300 calories left for dinner. I wound up eating a 1/2 portion of Annie's mac with Greek yogurt, a quinoa-garlic veggie burger patty, and a TON of broccoli. I felt better about my whole day and fit everything into my cals/macros.

Don't beat yourself up over it, most importantly. One of the hardest lessons I've learned in losing a total of 118 lb is that healthy eating is not a black/white issue. You don't fail by eating too much a few times. It's not GAME OVER when you overdo it or accidentally "screw up"! You have hundreds more opportunities every week to make choices that will make you happy.
  • greglumpkin
    greglumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Go watch the movie "Frozen". You'll be singing "Let ig go, let it gooooo..." for the rest of the day.

Or better yet, watch this motivational video. It never ceases to make me feel better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyL1QFcls0

But seriously, we all have slip-ups from time to time. Learn from it and move on. This is a marathon, not a sprint. :-)

G
  • billhilly1968
    billhilly1968 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Once I get past the point of beating myself up I revise my intake for the rest of the day to adjust for calorie intake if possible. I make sure I keep my proteins up high.

I had a few days in a row where I battled with cravings which I regrettably gave into and I lost 2 lbs. I guess my body needed what I ate.

Dust yourself off and continue on with your plan. Maybe put in some extra time with exercising to burn some additional calories too.

Good luck. You can do this!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't toss the day after one bad binge session.

I eat moderate meals for the remainder of the day. If I can keep it within the calorie goal I do, but I refuse to feel guilty if I go over and I refuse to starve myself trying to make up for it. Its reallly important for me to not see a bad decision as permission to continue to binge, I cannot start again tomorrow. I think that is unhealthy thinking in the context of binge- you are in the middle of your life getting a night of rest isnt a reset. The reset happens when you acknowledge your less than ideal choice, forgive yourself and keep going. There will be good and bad choices as you move forward to your best health, its going to be true even once you reach your goal and stop "dieting". One bad meal/day isnt going to ruin all your progress unless you let it. Sometimes its good for your sanity to have a so-called bad day.

Keep in mind that for over 80% of the people on MFP- their daily calorie goal is anywhere from 200-1200 calories below their daily burn. If you can keep your day's intake below your TDEE then you might see a temporary scale jump but its just extra waste in the bowel. There is a built in cushion for going over your daily goal by a bit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just move on and try to do better the rest of the week.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    and do better tomorrow.

it happens.

I'd like to emphasize the "make tomorrow a new day" line :) We all have our days where we go over, just don't sit and dwell on it :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Weight loss journeys aren't meant to imply that you have to be prefect. You can't change the past so let it go. Today is a new day to start over.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The point at which this becomes a lifestyle change and not just a diet is the choice you make when you overeat. Instead of beating yourself up over it and working out like mad just accept that you overate today, but will do better tomorrow.

That simple idea, of accepting what you ate and trying to do better the next day can help put things in perspective. A day at maintence or above isn't going to undo all your hardwork. Negativity over food is the biggest motivation sabotager I know.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else has already said - try not to dwell on it, and start fresh. :)
  • clairebeth8
    clairebeth8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I heard a great quote from Jillian Michaels that is my mantra after having a day off track (like I had this weekend). It's something along the lines of: "If you get a flat tire, you don't get out of the car and slash the other three tires. You fix the tire so you get back on the road." I wish you the best of luck with your journey. Keep your chin up.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The good news? You start over each and every day.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    We've all done it. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start fresh tomorrow.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You chose to eat it and how much to eat. Own it. And today again you get to choose what to eat and how much of it. Own that. Tomorrow, same thing. No sense in beating yourself up, feeling guilty, or whatever.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This makes me now want pumpkin bread with cream cheese! :love:
  • CrystalReaves78
    CrystalReaves78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself today and start fresh tomorrow. You need to go ahead and eat some more today. Just eat healthy the rest of the day. You'll be okay.