I Know It's not all Muscle, but..

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
I am genuinely curious about this.

My own experience is this: after 2 years of running, weight training, and other hardcore stuff, my thighs are no longer jiggling when I move. The inner thighs are very firm at touch. And if I flex, I can see the "tones" along the quads, hammie and inner thighs. I know, I know they are not all muscles but what could have contributed to this change?

Fitness newbies often say after a short period of time of exercise, their body appears tighter. I wonder beside water retention what else?

Please don't bash my ignorance. :flowerforyou:

ps. I didn't lose lot weight, maybe some fat but I have never had it officially tested.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's fat loss revealing the underlying muscle.
  • albayin
    Options
    That's fat loss revealing the underlying muscle.

Ummm...but I should have seen inch loss as well, right? but I haven't seen it coming...at least not in significant way...
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You say you lift weights so chances are that it is a combination of fat loss and muscle gain.
  • albayin
    Options
    You say you lift weights so chances are that it is a combination of fat loss and muscle gain.

I was hoping that was the case. But without signicant weight/inch loss, its hard to believe...as people here often tell others that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same rate...or nearly impossible...
  • AngieAllTheWay
    AngieAllTheWay Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I was hoping that was the case. But without signicant weight/inch loss, its hard to believe...as people here often tell others that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same rate...or nearly impossible...

Yes you and I are curious about the same thing! It's the skepticism of gaining muscle & losing fat at the same time and what causes it to happen, if it happens, while maintaining a calorie deficit! I've heard of "calorie partitioning" but am no expert and hoped I'd get some feedback from someone who was knowledgeable. :smile:
  • tigersword
    Options
    No. You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, especially not at a 1:1 ratio with fat loss. A woman, eating at a perfect surplus, and training with heavy weights, will put on at most 12 pounds of muscle in a year. At a deficit, it won't happen. Can't build something out of nothing.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    well what if your overweight already, can you use the energy from fat to burn fat and feed muscle?
  • tigersword
    Options
    No. In order to build muscle, you need protein. When in a calorie deficit, your body burns the protein you eat for energy, saving the bare minimum it needs for maintenance of current muscle and organs. Fat oxidation is a very slow process compared to glucose, and also, you need glucose in order to oxidize fat in the first place.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If she's about the same weight, she didn't run a two-year deficit.
  • albayin
    Options
    umm.....I was merely curious what it could be besides muscle (since people already are pretty determined that's not muscle).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How have you been eating over that time? What you're describing sounds like it could be a body recomp, where you eat at maintenence, work out doing cardio and lifting, and lose fat while building muscle. If you're eating at a deficit, you're not building muscle, but you can if you're eating in your maintenence range. The key to a recomp is that it's a SLOW process -- you see results over years, not weeks or months, but you said you've been at it for two years now, so it's possible.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Frequent use of muscle can lead to high levels of water retention in those muscles causing them to swell and harden appearing larger in size and firmer. Frequent exercise and a calorically restricted diet can lead to fat loss which will expose the muscle over time giving it more definition again making the muscle appear larger.

The loss of fat could be counterbalanced by the retention of water in the muscles of your thighs due to strenuous activity which would explain no change in diameter.

Of course if your thighs were previously very fat it won't make that much of a difference but if you are talking going from a thin covering of fat to very lean then yes you could have the result where you don't put on muscle, you lose fat and the swelling from water retention makes your thighs the same diameter.

All that said High-five up-top if you are getting lean muscular looking legs, sounds to me like you've got nothing to worry about.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So after 2 years of exercise, running & strength training you have nice lean hard legs...but people are claiming it's not muscle????
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    So after 2 years of exercise, running & strength training you have nice lean hard legs...but people are claiming it's not muscle????

No I don't think anyone said its not muscle. It is clearly muscle.
  • albayin
    Options
    How have you been eating over that time? What you're describing sounds like it could be a body recomp, where you eat at maintenence, work out doing cardio and lifting, and lose fat while building muscle. If you're eating at a deficit, you're not building muscle, but you can if you're eating in your maintenence range. The key to a recomp is that it's a SLOW process -- you see results over years, not weeks or months, but you said you've been at it for two years now, so it's possible.

if deduction works here, I would say I have been eating at maintenance at least given I have not lost much on the scale, nor inches? I honestly have not been loyal to food logging.
  • albayin
    Options
    Frequent use of muscle can lead to high levels of water retention in those muscles causing them to swell and harden appearing larger in size and firmer. Frequent exercise and a calorically restricted diet can lead to fat loss which will expose the muscle over time giving it more definition again making the muscle appear larger.

The loss of fat could be counterbalanced by the retention of water in the muscles of your thighs due to strenuous activity which would explain no change in diameter.

Of course if your thighs were previously very fat it won't make that much of a difference but if you are talking going from a thin covering of fat to very lean then yes you could have the result where you don't put on muscle, you lose fat and the swelling from water retention makes your thighs the same diameter.

All that said High-five up-top if you are getting lean muscular looking legs, sounds to me like you've got nothing to worry about.

I am a peared shape person. My thighs are always bigger and they used to jiggle a lot. Now they are still not near where I want to be size wise but I do notice the change of firmness and slight improvement of the over shape of my legs...but nothing so tangible that I could tell you that I lost one pant size or something in that category. But thank you for the detailed explanation. :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If you have noticed that your thighs are considerably firmer and have definition now where previously they were just sausages then that is definite progress and you should be proud of that. I guess the question is do you want legs that look fit (ie muscular and trim) or do you want stick legs. If you want stick legs you might be on the wrong track with all this working out running and eating right stuff but if you want to look fit sounds like you are on the right track to me.
  • albayin
    Options
    If you have noticed that your thighs are considerably firmer and have definition now where previously they were just sausages then that is definite progress and you should be proud of that. I guess the question is do you want legs that look fit (ie muscular and trim) or do you want stick legs. If you want stick legs you might be on the wrong track with all this working out running and eating right stuff but if you want to look fit sounds like you are on the right track to me.

I think you hit the nail on the head...I wanted thinner legs, maybe not stick thin but really thin...2 size smaller than what I got now. But then when I start appreciating muscles...I am kinda in dilemma now: what I am doing apparently is not give what I want, but what I like what I got so far and don't want to give up. LOL sorry about the confusion...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    umm.....I was merely curious what it could be besides muscle (since people already are pretty determined that's not muscle).

I bet it's muscle.