HIIT at the gym!!

Options
So i have just joined the gym an have been thinking about putting some interval training into my cardio section. Am hoping some of you frequent gym people may be able to give me some advice on how best to split my intervals don't want to get confused by all the contradicting info online so i thought i would check with the experts (you guys who actually go to the gym)
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm "used" to doing intervals so I do 1 to 1 ratio (1 min sprint to 1 min walk) and yes I walk for my rest period. I do 10 rounds, the first round will be the warmup sprint, next will be a lttle faster (0.5 mph) then the next 5 rounds is full sprint followed by 3 rounds of 1 mph lower speed. Then I cool down by jogging for 10 to 15 min followed by walk.

If you're new to intervals start with 30 sec sprints, 1 min rest.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also a heart rate monitor (one with a chest strap most machiens pick up the frequency and will display on the monitor) is IMO a must have. This will show you your heart rate and the key to intervals is getting your heart rate up to 90% max as fast as possible then back down to "rest". The transition period gives your body that "fight or flight" feeling. You can research more about it if interested.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The best way to start HIIT would probably be on the exercise bicycles. Don't bother trying to do them on an elliptical. There is no one "right" protocol. The classic "wingate" interval is a 20-30 second all out max sprint followed by 4 minutes of rest. Most people don't rest that long though. Sprints are great for HIIT too, but it's really easy to injure yourself on an all out sprint so be careful. If you're not going to go "all out" on your intervals, then increase your interval time and decrease the rest time.

I do all out sprint intervals outdoors sometimes, but when I'm exercising in the gym I do all out 20-30 second intervals on the exercise bike, followed by 90-120 seconds of rest. I'll do about 6 sets of those after finishing my resistance training.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    The best way to start HIIT would probably be on the exercise bicycles. Don't bother trying to do them on an elliptical. There is no one "right" protocol. The classic "wingate" interval is a 20-30 second all out max sprint followed by 4 minutes of rest. Most people don't rest that long though. Sprints are great for HIIT too, but it's really easy to injure yourself on an all out sprint so be careful. If you're not going to go "all out" on your intervals, then increase your interval time and decrease the rest time.

I do all out sprint intervals outdoors sometimes, but when I'm exercising in the gym I do all out 20-30 second intervals on the exercise bike, followed by 90-120 seconds of rest. I'll do about 6 sets of those after finishing my resistance training.

definetly no one right way.

i try to flip that though, try to get around 3 min 'all out' and 30 sec rest.

its harder to go 'all out' that way, which kinda defeats the point. but if your sprint is only 30 sec follwed by 1 min plus of rest then you better be serriously kicking *kitten* for that 30 sec
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm "used" to doing intervals so I do 1 to 1 ratio (1 min sprint to 1 min walk) and yes I walk for my rest period. I do 10 rounds, the first round will be the warmup sprint, next will be a lttle faster (0.5 mph) then the next 5 rounds is full sprint followed by 3 rounds of 1 mph lower speed. Then I cool down by jogging for 10 to 15 min followed by walk.

If you're new to intervals start with 30 sec sprints, 1 min rest.

I do the exact same workout except my 10 rounds are at 15 mins; so 15 mins of HIIT then 15 mins jog followed by walk cool down.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill for my HIIT when I can't to a track outside; on the treadmill though, I get on and walk for 5 minutes at 3.0mph, then hike the speed up to 9mph + and a slight incline 2.5 (because that's all I can manage personally) then sprint for 30 seconds, then jump my feet to side and rest for 30 seconds, and then get back on, the treadmill is still running when I am off of it. I do this for 10 minutes, with a cool down of 15 minutes. If you are as a good about matching your speed back up to the treadmill and are worried about falling off, then of course this isn't recommended.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I don't always get long at the gym so this is gonna really help me get the most out of it!!