Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Losing pounds but getting larger...?

So I'm an 18 year old female in college. I've been eating relatively healthy every day, (no sweets, no foods covered in butter and sauces) and I work out 3-4 times a week, running for about 18-20 minutes and then I do strength training for 50 minutes. I only do strength training for my biceps, triceps, and abs. I completely avoid legs because I don't want to put muscle on my legs. I'd like to get them toned but the last time I tried doing legs, I put on muscle quickly. I've lost 7 of the 10 pounds I put on when initially coming to college and my arms have been getting much more defined. However, I'm still putting on weight on my hips and thighs. I'm not eating anything unhealthy for the most part and right now, I'm not eating meat because of Lent. I will get back to eating all meat after Lent is over, but I usually only eat white meats and only eat red meat occasionally.

Can someone explain to me what's going on and if there's something I can do that'll help me lose weight/tone my legs WITHOUT putting on muscle or getting larger?

Thanks!

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Sometimes you can't control how your body builds itself. You may just need to learn to love it's shape and embrace it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    You are 18, your body is still developing.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    You might not even be larger.
    You can't control where you lose weight, and sometimes weight loss in one place can make something else (like your tummy!) stand out more.
    That said, why don't you want muscle on your legs? You are never going to be manly/ripped unless you dedicate your life to achieving that. Muscle is good. Muscle is what makes the difference between a Victoria Secret model and someone who just happens to weigh the same at that height. Have you ever heard of "skinny fat"? :P
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Cardio, strength train (yes, your legs), eat at a deficit....

Nobody puts on muscle quickly, especially a female.....eating at a deficit.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    My legs aren't muscley, they're thicker yes, but they are nicely toned and will be even more so as I continue on my journey to a healthier, more fulfilling life.

As women, we will always carry more weight to our hip areas so what you're noticing as a previous poster noted, is the weight loss is highlighting an area that was already a certain way and is just accentuated due to weight loss from another area. My legs look huge, to me, in comparison to my hips and upper body, but that's because the weight is coming of last there.

Check your measurements, because even though you may not see it, you can have lost inches. I've lost inches in my thighs and to me it doesn't seem different.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    You are 18, your body is still developing.

^^ This

My daughter is 16, and I had to have this conversation with her recently. I had to break the news about our bad genes the ladies in our family have, wide-set hips. *sigh*
  • JMaria14
    JMaria14 Posts: 9
    It wasn't a concern for me until I dug up my shorts from last summer and they were noticeably tighter. It may be genetics but eating at a deficit daily and working out, I would have imagined that I could have at least maintained, especially since I did shed pounds and become leaner overall.
  • JMaria14
    JMaria14 Posts: 9
    That said, why don't you want muscle on your legs? You are never going to be manly/ripped unless you dedicate your life to achieving that. Muscle is good. Muscle is what makes the difference between a Victoria Secret model and someone who just happens to weigh the same at that height. Have you ever heard of "skinny fat"? :P

It's more that I would literally have to go out and get new shorts and jeans and it's not very doable right now. But, point noted. =P
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

It's more that I would literally have to go out and get new shorts and jeans and it's not very doable right now. But, point noted. =P

Also fat is bulkier than muscle. Concentrate on fat loss, and your muscles will be fine! :flowerforyou:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    most important - you're still developing and being active - your body will keep changing

to track it try measuring - narrowest bit of tummy, widest bit of hips/bum, each thigh if you want to also neck and forearm
    do it maybe once a week and see how it changes over time
    as others have said if your reaction is jsut `observation' then some bits may look bigger as others get smaller - you can't control where you lose the weight

also remember that your weight changes throughout the day and over your monthly cycle - so try to weight at the same time

I weigh mornings after using the bathroom and before getting dressed
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Cardio, strength train (yes, your legs), eat at a deficit....

Nobody puts on muscle quickly, especially a female.....eating at a deficit.

^ This