Thread for Fall recipes

fitinyoga14
fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Some of my favorite flavors are those of pumpkin, butternut squash, and sweet potato. I'm looking for SIMPLE recipes using mostly these ingredients. (i'm a only a college student with good cooking skills, so the more simple, the better) Please share recipes in this thread for breakfasts, side dishes, casseroles, ect. that are made with pumpkin, butternut squash, or sweet potato.

your response is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    I would also love to see some recipes with these foods. :heart: Does anyone know how to add pumpkin to oatmeal for breakfast?:love:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    bumpppp
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Good butternut squash soup:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/on-hand-ingredients-recipes/Butternut-Squash-Soup-with-Sweet-and-Spicy-Pecans (Note that this recipe also calls for butter... which is not listed in the ingredients. If I can find the magazine it was originally posted in, I'll come back and update the amounts)

Easy Pumpkin Muffins:
    1 15 oz can pumpkin
    1 box spice cake mix
    brown sugar

Mix pumpkin and spice cake mix. Top with a sprinkling of brown sugar. Bake according to cake mix directions. Note: the batter will not resemble regular cake mix. It will be very thick and will not rise much during baking. I usually get about 12 muffins of the recipe... they aren't necessarily pretty but they taste good!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Pumpkin Vanilla Shake (great for breakfast or after workout)

(Calories Carbs Fat Protein Iron Calcium)

Western Family - 100% Pure Pumpkin, 1 cup (125ml) 50 11 0 2 4 4
    Dairyland - 1% Milk, 1 cup (250 mL) 110 12 3 9 0 30
    Attain - Vanilla Shake (With Crave Blocker) (Powder Only), 1 scoop (30g) 120 15 3 10 2 6
    Spices - Nutmeg, ground, 0.3 tsp 3 0 0 0 0 0
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.3 tsp 2 0 0 0 1 1
    Total: 285 38 6 21 7 41
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I just cubbed some sweet potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower and carrots, added some baked chicken (cubed)...throw it in a crock pot with some dill, one clove of garlic smashed, pepper, 2 cups of hot water and once cube of boullion (i use chicken). That's what's for supper tomorrow night (GYM NIGHT).

I also bought a bunch of different squash so i'm thinking i'm going to try that soup:)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Roasted Sweet Potatoes (1 serving)

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
    1/2 T olive oil
    2 packets of calorie free sweetener
    cinnamon

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Toss potatoes with olive oil, sweetener and cinnamon in a ziplock bag. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 45-55 minutes, flipping potatoes halfway through. Potatoes are done with they are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

Tastes like pumpkin pie :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I just mixed 1/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 packet splenda. Came out tasting like a lightly sweetened pumpkin pie/cheesecake. All for under 120 calories, 3 carbs, 2 fat, 16 protein.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I'm carb cycling and am only allowed certain carbs on my high and low carb days. Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are among the starchy veggies that I can have. I bought three sweet potatoes (2 in. X 5 in.) and baked them in their skin at the beginning of the week at 400 for 1 hour or until tender. I kept them in the fridge wrapped in foil. I tend to get a sweet tooth after dinner so I peel the sweet potato and sprinkle it with a pack of splenda, a couple tbls. of fat free milk and some pumpkin pie spice. Slightly mash together and nuke for a minute...it's sooo good and, especially after not having packaged sweets, satisfies that sweet craving
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    bump
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    :love: I find that all of these ideas are all delicious as i've been trying them out.. The unfortunate part of fall veggies is the fact that my hands and feet are getting an orange coloring from all the pumpkin, squash, and sweet potatoes!!! :laugh: oh well; its all too tasty to lay off.
This discussion has been closed.