Frustrated

Options
mom2tm
mom2tm Posts: 25 Member
I have to admit - I'm frustrated. It seems like when I have a good week of exercise/eating my weight does not change or goes up. Does this happen to everyone, or just me? Anyone have any advice??

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you track your food?
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Not just you, love. Last week I ran a half marathon and my weight didn't budge. Go Figure. This is what I do... (as my mom says, take what you want and leave the rest)...

I weigh every day, but track only on Mondays. If my weight is up on Monday, I don't track. I wait til the next week and track my loss. Now, my losses are generally less than a pound... but I'm getting there... or trying to at least.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I started logging my weight when I weigh, which is almost daily, on Libra. It's an app that will track trends to give you a big picture of your loss. It has helped me not freak out over not losing for a week or gaining a week.
  • mom2tm
    Options
    Yes - although I admit on the weekends I am not as good about it as I am during the week. But I try to log everything that I eat. I'm sure there are changes that could be made there - but I would think if my diet hasn't changed much, and my exercise has increased, it would still show a loss.
  • mom2tm
    Options
    Cuinboston201 - I will check out that app - thanks!
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am BEYOND frustrated. I've actually gained weight (can I blame it on the app?) I was 134 last year before my back surgery, now 147.8 which puts me over the moon with dismay, sadness, and insanity... yet, my body fat percentage did not change all that much.. I know that I need to work out EVERY DAY... ongoing nerve pain and a lack of time are still factors that I struggle with daily. Does anyone else feel that the calorie counts are off ?? I've stepped up water, I always eat WELL, its not like i ever sit there and eat burgers and fries and or ice cream and cake.. I was so close to my goal and now, it's back to being far away... :-(
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have to admit - I'm frustrated. It seems like when I have a good week of exercise/eating my weight does not change or goes up. Does this happen to everyone, or just me? Anyone have any advice??

It happens to everyone. Weight loss isn't linear at all. Wouldn't it be nice if it were? But then again, weight gain isn't either so... I guess in the end it balances out! LOL Anyways, my suggestion is to re-evaluate your goals. Mostly, what is your cals set at and how much are you set to lose a week? It could be your goals are too aggressive. Like, are you set to 2lbs a week? Because the closer you get to your goal (say 30lbs.) the less loss per week should be your goal. Mostly because you are working with less calories. That is also when, unfortunately, you have to be more diligent about tracking your food because just a few cals over can really mess up that average. Someone will ask it, so I'm going to ask are you weighing your food vs. measuring? And are you eating back some of your exercise calories? I know that seems counter-productive, but your body really does need a basic amount of fuel to function and the fuel the extra work. I guess that's all I can think of for now. But just know that it happens to all of us and we get majorly frustrated, too! But over the long haul, as long as that average is moving down, that is what matters!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Yes - although I admit on the weekends I am not as good about it as I am during the week. But I try to log everything that I eat. I'm sure there are changes that could be made there - but I would think if my diet hasn't changed much, and my exercise has increased, it would still show a loss.

are you MEASURING/WEIGHING your food?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am BEYOND frustrated. I've actually gained weight (can I blame it on the app?) I was 134 last year before my back surgery, now 147.8 which puts me over the moon with dismay, sadness, and insanity... yet, my body fat percentage did not change all that much.. I know that I need to work out EVERY DAY... ongoing nerve pain and a lack of time are still factors that I struggle with daily. Does anyone else feel that the calorie counts are off ?? I've stepped up water, I always eat WELL, its not like i ever sit there and eat burgers and fries and or ice cream and cake.. I was so close to my goal and now, it's back to being far away... :-(

You've probably heard this before, but it isn't about just eating 'well'. It's about the calories you're consuming vs. burning. The calorie counts for some food IS off and same for exercise. I do eat burgers, fries, pizza and brownies... I'm down a pound this week. I also ate some grilled chicken, a salad, carrots, plums, broccoli... it's about getting that calorie balance right. You'll get it -- just keep tracking and see what your trend is like over time.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

No if you still eat too much, you won't lose regardless of exercise. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • mom2tm
    Options

Yes - I have been using a scale for the protiens. The fruits and vegetables I do not weigh if it is a 'portion' like one meduim apple, one green pepper, etc. I can begin weighing the fruits and vegetables also - does it go the same as protien and weigh after it is cooked?
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is water gain. Muscles retain water for repair. Usually 2 to 3 days later, I am back down again.
    I have been tracking my sodium intake and am trying to keep it in the 1500 mg day range. Some days it is at 2000 some days 1000. (I have high blood pressure and have been advised that this might aid in lowering it). Not sure if this has any impact on the water gain or not.
    Also, my experience is that when pushing myself exercising, there are days I am ravenous. That is going to effect the weight loss. Last year I trained for a half marathon and gained 3 pounds. This was eating a lot and not being able to out run my diet. (I wasn't tracking calories at that time either).
    This time around I am tracking my calories and hope to not gain any actual weight (not the fluctuating water weight), and hope to be able to keep losing a pound or so a week.
    There are many benefits to exercise so don't get to frustrated at the scale. Your heart and mind thank you.
    Birdie
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Yes - I have been using a scale for the protiens. The fruits and vegetables I do not weigh if it is a 'portion' like one meduim apple, one green pepper, etc. I can begin weighing the fruits and vegetables also - does it go the same as protien and weigh after it is cooked?

First, weigh everything raw. Second, once you start weighing that "medium" apple you'll realize that "medium" is really a lot of calories. I used to use those entries on the database, but once I got my food scale I realized how much I was underestimating my fruit calories- sometimes by upwards of 130-150 calories per fruit!!!!!! When you realize that you're eating a 200 calorie banana or a 175 calorie apple you'll definitely want to start keeping track of those calories- they add up fast!
  • mom2tm
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support! I thought protiens should be weighed cooked - that could make a difference. Also - the point on weighing the fruits/vegetables makes sense. I will start that and see if it works.
    Also - how many of the excercise calories should I eat back (1/2, 1/3?)
    Thanks All!!