Avocado help

Options
jtjunkie
jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
I love avocado but have never bought one before. I bought one to use for my sandwiches this week, I think I got a ripe one, it was semi-soft. My question though is does it get brown & nasty if you slice it up and if so, how do you keep that from happening?

Replies

• Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you use and how ripe it is. I usually use half of one and put the other half in an airtight container to use the next day. More than a day or two and they don't look too tasty anymore.

I know when making guacamole the use of lemon/lime juice (acidic stuff) will stop them from changing.

If you are going to be using it fast enough you don't really have to worry that much about it.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Halve the avocado with the skin. Separate the halves, and set aside the half that the pit adhered to. Cut the other half into enough thin slices for your sandwich and peel off the skin from each slice. Any amount that you don't intend to use put back with the pit into a plastic bag and save for the future in the refrigerator.
    Use the avocado within a day or two of cutting into it.
    The pit helps keep the avocado from becoming overripe. It can be used in smoothies if it does get overripe.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Use half at a time and leave the pit in the other half and put in ziplock bag,