I'm not even fat enough for weight loss surgery...

Options
That is correct. A couple of co-workers of mine got the gastric sleeve and look amazing, so after my entire life of struggling with my weight I inquired, sent over my insurance information and stats expecting my phone call this morning to tell me I was approved - but nope! My BMI isn't high enough...I'm not fat enough for weight loss surgery! I told my husband this is the first time in my life that I've been "too small" for something..hahahaha....

So, I know I've been inconsistent with tracking my food, but I batch cook all of my meals on Sunday and pretty much eat the same thing every day so I know I'm at or under my calorie goal. I also usually do an hour and a half of Jazzercise 4-5 days a week so I'm also getting cardio and strength training in - and yet, I've gained 3 or 4 pounds.

I have been SO FRUSTRATED with my weight loss. No *kitten*, the second I turned 31 a few years ago it all just stopped. My metabolism just completely went to crap, I've gained 30 pounds and haven't been able to lose any of it. By today, April 7th, I was hoping to be down at least 20 pounds since Jan 1st. I'm finding myself sinking into a depression as I desperately want to lose weight not only to feel and look good, but my husband and I would like to start trying to get pregnant this year. I NEED to lose 50 pounds before this happens.....

PLEASE HELP with any tips, tricks, type of foods to eat, etc.

I will say, I am very good about what I eat - it's mostly fruits and vegetables, chicken, tuna, eggs, quinoa, etc, i started gluten-free and all of that crap, but nothing seems to be working.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself: you're inconsistent with tracking food. How do you know how much you're eating? Do you weight your food? The type of food doesn't matter for weight loss, it's how much. There are no tricks; be in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Eating less and moving more is much healthier than getting a surgery you don't need.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Be consistent with tracking your food. Log every bite that goes into your mouth. Measure (and/or weigh) everything you can.

After 30 days of that, come back and tell us if you have lost weight. I think the answer will be yes.

If I'm wrong, then see your doctor. Eating gluten-free, low carb, raw, all natural, etc, is fine if that is what a person wants to do but you WILL lose weight eating at a calorie deficit and without tracking precisely there's no guarantee you're eating at a deficit currently.

I truly do wish you the best here.

FWIW I know a LOT of people who have had serious complications from weight loss surgeries. I won't go too much into that because I don't want to incite a debate on that topic in your thread, but perhaps if you can lose it without surgery you might avoid some of those risks.
  • babeb4baby
    Options
    I know how much I'm eating per day because I batch cook on Sunday and eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Everything is measured and broken out into containers for each meal. I did it more for convenience, but it has greatly helped with portion control.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Summer is on the way. Along with tracking calories better, start swimming. It's a fast way to burn calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You are mad because you don't need surgery?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I know how much I'm eating per day because I batch cook on Sunday and eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Everything is measured and broken out into containers for each meal. I did it more for convenience, but it has greatly helped with portion control.

That sounds dismal, spice things up a bit...go on pinterest and find some awesomeness. This isn't supposed to be painful.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Be happy you don't need surgery.....A member of my family had it and it still didn't work....
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Are you following MFP-set calorie guidelines for your age, weight, height & gender?

To lose what amount per week? And what amount have you lost? Zero?

Are you sure that your activity level correctly reflects your activity?

I know there are exceptions to every rule, but for me and all of my MFP friends the MFP-set guidelines have worked very well...there are some minor fluctuations here and there (for example my loss has slowed a tiny bit as I get closer to goal) but it basically *works*
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So, I know I've been inconsistent with tracking my food, but I batch cook all of my meals on Sunday and pretty much eat the same thing every day so I know I'm at or under my calorie goal

If you are inconsistent with tracking your food then how do you know you're under or at your calorie goal?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Be happy you don't need surgery.....A member of my family had it and it still didn't work....

^^ This too, except a co-worker, not family member in my case. The surgery only lasted two years for her, and she is back up to 300-ish pounds. :ohwell:
  • seltzermint555
    Options

^^ This too, except a co-worker, not family member in my case. The surgery only lasted two years for her, and she is back up to 300-ish pounds. :ohwell:

My former MIL at 5'1" went from about 450 to 350 after her surgery, she also lost all of her hair and would puke daily if she ate more than a bird sized amount of food. She was in and out of the hospital. And when I worked at a nonprofit that served individuals with disabilities I would say a good third of the younger clients were disabled due to complications and problems stemming from weight loss surgeries. Some of the issues they had were seriously disturbing, others just very sad. Just in my relatively small city I know of two people under 40 who have died following it (one right away, and one a couple of years later). Even when I was at my heaviest (307 lb) I knew that I'd do anything to lose weight before trying that route. JMHO.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Be grateful you can't have surgery. Gastric bypass surgery is for extreme cases only IMHO. I know people that could easily do surgery and have had great success just controlling their eating and exercising. It's all about learning how to have a healthy lifestyle.

**Disclaimer** If you don't want hard truths then don't go any further. I don't sugar coat things.

I'm sorry but your metabolism didn't just leave you at 31. You obviously made some type of lifestyle change that made you gain weight. If you want to make changes you have to change your attitude and expectations. Losing 20lbs in 3months isn't really a good goal. 1lb a week is average and 5-6/mo is fabulous. A scale number is also random and doesn't mean crap. How you feel and look is the real show of progress.

You are obviously eating more then you think. You don't gain weight by eating at a calorie deficit. You need to invest in a good kitchen scale and you need to measure your food and track consistently. When I stopped weighing and measuring I gained weight. I'm back to watching my intake and it's going back down.

Are you at the proper calorie goal? Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and punch in your info and either put in desk job/no activity so that when you exercise you have to log all your exercise and eat back your calories burned or put your activity level at what it is with your workouts and then you eat that calorie goal everyday and you don't have to log your activity if you don't want to.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Did you apply for the surgery with only having to lose 47lbs? Now I'm not saying 47lbs isn't a lot to lose, but it sees like a very small weight to lose to even want to think about having that type of surgery.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had gastric bypass. She has maintained a weight loss for a few years now and is at a healthy weight.

Unfortunately, all her teeth rotted and she's 39 and getting dentures. It was one of the risks of getting the surgery. There are tons of articles in dental journals and medical journals about it.

Be thankful, take this slowly, monitor your exercise calorie burns and make sure you're not overestimating. Make sure you haven't miscalculated portions in what you make, and mix it up with your diet so you're getting enough protein and micronutrients.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

My former MIL at 5'1" went from about 450 to 350 after her surgery, she also lost all of her hair and would puke daily if she ate more than a bird sized amount of food. She was in and out of the hospital. And when I worked at a nonprofit that served individuals with disabilities I would say a good third of the younger clients were disabled due to complications and problems stemming from weight loss surgeries. Some of the issues they had were seriously disturbing, others just very sad. Just in my relatively small city I know of two people under 40 who have died following it (one right away, and one a couple of years later). Even when I was at my heaviest (307 lb) I knew that I'd do anything to lose weight before trying that route. JMHO.
    My mom should be getting out of the hospital today. She had weight loss surgery 10 years ago, but has put much of the weight back on. She decided to have a revision to the surgery to again help with the weight loss. The surgery was a week ago, and two days after getting out of the hospital she lost motor function entirely. Her blood sugar (once they got to the hospital and could test it) was 770, and her blood pressure was low enough that they were surprised she was alive. Turns out she got an infection. Add this to the list of problems she has had over the years (loss of hair, vitamin deficiency, puking all the time, etc.), and it is not a decision to take lightly.

Granted, my mom is not a good candidate for the surgery mostly because she doesn't want to change how she eats, sleeps (or doesn't), or exercises (mostly doesn't). It is only a tool and not a solution, and it comes with huge risks.

Since you have to change your lifestyle even with the surgery, suck it up and get it done now. Track everything, make sure you are eating at an appropriate level for you activity, and if nothing is working, get your blood work checked.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

This too can be a problem. You should 'mix' it up...change what you eat and when you eat.

I, personally could not eat the same breakfast, lunch, dinner for 7 days.
  • sebkiwinaspensmama
    sebkiwinaspensmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd be VERY happy to not have to have surgery. Imagine the recovery. Yuck I hate recovery. Anyway, my aunt had gastric bypass surgery and she has been sick as hell since. She can barely eat anything, healthy or not. It is NOT a cure-all. You can get fat again and it's a huge waste of money if getting it isn't saving your life.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you only have about 50 pounds to lose. I wouldn't think that surgery should be an option unless you had serious health concerns involved.

For tips > Read this and the links included in that post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

The number 1 thing that is going to help you is a food scale, and being consistent and patient.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Surgery seems like such an extreme to me in order to lose weight. I mean, I'm always baffled by the people who choose weight loss surgery for non medical reasons. You have to be so rigid with the amount you eat, vitamins and things like that, not even including the recovery time and the pain. They cut into your abdomen, and either band or remover portions of your stomach and intestines.
    Why would you want to do that without a medical necessity? Especially if you are intending to get pregnant soon. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems that I recall that if you've had lap-band surgery that you have to have the band removed during pregnancy? So what would be the point of going through an expensive and painful process then? Would you have it replaced again after pregnancy?

I'm not meaning to sounds mean, but these are just some of the questions that ran through my head when I read your post. Why get surgery? You would have to buckle down and eat the way you are supposed to based on your doctors orders then, so why not just make a real commitment to eating right now, without spending the money and putting yourself through such a painful, body altering ordeal.

As for the metabolism issue, that should be a trip to your doctor. Rule out thyroid issues and things like that before determining your metabolism just shut down. Maybe there's a medical reason that your having these, issues, maybe its miniscule lifestyle changes. Whatever it is it can be changed with putting the work into it.

That said, the first few months after having a baby are the best for losing weight in your entire life! Your body is geared toward it already! The pregnancy weight stays not because its just stuck there, but because having a newborn monopolizes your life. Lots of people choose baby time over exercise time. Source = I got off me bum and worked my butt off and lost all my preggo weight plus 20 pounds in 3 months.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    auddii I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she recovers well. :-(