Trivia Nights/Staying on Track

Options
I've just recently started doing MFP for the second time, and I really want to stick with it this time. Last time I lost 40 pounds, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately since June i've gained most of it back. I've been doing really well and losing weight again, but my fiance wants to go to trivia nights every tuesday at some bar. It's 8:00pm, usually right at my dinner time, and obviously the temptation to eat fried food and drink beer will literally be all around me.

I don't think "i'm on a diet" or "i'm eating healthy" is a very good reason to stop living life....

What should I do?

Replies

• mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. Find the lowest calorie/best tasting beer they have. Enjoy a few wings or whatever it is you guys order. If you know the beer and meal is going to be 700-800 calories make adjustments earlier in the day.

You can enjoy things in small quantities to satisfy cravings.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know your calorie goal or dietary limitations (if any) and I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to eat specifically. The point here is that I would eat a very small breakfast and lunch in order to indulge at dinner ;-)

I'd have something like this:

Breakfast (under 200 cal)
    Coffee with splash of almond milk
    One egg fried in tiny spray of canola after mixing in 1/3 cup spinach and 1/8 cup chopped onion
    1/2 Sandwich Skinny multi-grain roll (50 cal)

Lunch (well under 300 cal)
    1/2 cup lentils, prepared with spices
    10 baby carrots
    1 tbsp. original hummus
    10 strawberries

So that's about 450 calories used...the rest you could "spend" on fried food and beer. I personally think that's fine if you don't do it every day.

Good luck meeting your goals!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing on my trivia nights, so I try to just limit what I eat earlier in the day and if I go over I have a really light day the next day. I've only just gotten back to MFP, but I've maintained in the time that I've been gone. I'm hoping to jumpstart some further weight loss. Good luck. Trivia is fun, so it's worth working it in. :-)
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Just plan ahead. Any time I go out to eat, I log what I'm going to eat ahead of time. That way I know I won't go over. I go to a pub trivia night a few times a month. I usually just get chicken and a side salad. But you can totally work the beer and anything else into your calorie allotment.

That's one positive of having celiac, I guess. Absolutely no temptation to eat fried foods or have beer. :)
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I looked on the pub's website, and they have some 100 calorie drink options on their menu. Now what to do for a little snack...