i need help!

i swear almost every day i go over my calorie intake. I am supposed to eat 1,400 calories a day and usually i go over by about 500-800 sometimes. I hate it, its like, i eat healthy all day and then something ALWAYS puts me over. fast food, pizza, candy, ect. Its usually at night too, after I ate healthy all day. does anyone have any tips or ideas or anything??? I really would like to stop going over so maybe i can see results. I also go to the gym almost every day for about and hour.

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    i swear almost every day i go over my calorie intake. I am supposed to eat 1,400 calories a day and usually i go over by about 500-800 sometimes. I hate it, its like, i eat healthy all day and then something ALWAYS puts me over. fast food, pizza, candy, ect. Its usually at night too, after I ate healthy all day. does anyone have any tips or ideas or anything??? I really would like to stop going over so maybe i can see results. I also go to the gym almost every day for about and hour.

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    If you're working out at the gym every day, then you have to "add in" your exercise calories--which means you would have more than 1400 calories a day to eat. You're probably hungry because your body isn't getting enough food. You got to account for the calories you're burning up at the gym!
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    well, i only burn about 200 -400 calories at the gym everyday, and i have been consuming about 2,000 calories or more lately every day. so subtracting 400 from 2,000 i end up with 1,600 calories when i am only supposed to have 1,400. so i go over either way. and im not really hungry, i just eat junk at the end of the day for some reason.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    well, i only burn about 200 -400 calories at the gym everyday, and i have been consuming about 2,000 calories or more lately every day. so subtracting 400 from 2,000 i end up with 1,600 calories when i am only supposed to have 1,400. so i go over either way. and im not really hungry, i just eat junk at the end of the day for some reason.

Ooops. Sorry--I misunderstood you. So your problem is just simply snacking at night. Not sure I can help there but just simply don't keep junk stuff in the house anymore, so it's not tempting. Maybe keep more healthy stuff easily available so you can grab that instead of junk?
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    maybe you might want to strive to burn an extra 200 calories on top of what you already burn at the gym your already there so may as well take advantage of it. jump rope burns mega calories fast or you can promise yourself that your NOT going to eat sugar.
    One thing that helped me to stay away from sugar was to have a teaspoon of peanutbutter when I got a craving for it. It worked for me I lost 21lbs.
  • haleyvision
    haleyvision Posts: 16
    J.E.L.L.O:love: with Coooool Whip!
    and
    BEFORE you can eat anything other than Jello...
    You have to PACK ON the calories to your fitness pal list
    BEFORE You add the calories to your hips.
    subtle reminder of motivation
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398

I do this to every day, I hate it too I'm trying really hard to burn a lot of calories, so I can eat more, and i dont feel so bad.

But I feel your pain:yawn: We can do this.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    First of all:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

Maybe you really need to eat more than 1400 to lose and tone up?

Try burning more calories at the gym ex. by running faster and than you'll have extra calories for an evening meal :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    hc,

Unfortunately your problem is a common one. What you probably should do is identify why you are doing this. Is it just giving in to your wants? Or is someone triggering this for you (a boyfriend, parent, family member) by bringing home this type of food. Once you identify the trigger, it's easier to either stop it (by telling them to try not to do this, or removing the food option if it is you). The hard part is the initial "NO". Once you get by that, usually (at least in my case) after you stand up to the craving, it becomes a sense of accomplishment that you start to crave. At this point, I enjoy watching people eat because I am confident in my ability to say no, also I know how many, and what kind of calories are in something now as I watch people eat it and I'm usually like, "it may SMELL good, but I know that once that piece of cake enters my body, it's ruining all that hard work I did today".

Personally, my key was to make sure I was never really that hungry. It's easier to say no if you are already full. If you are comming home from the gym hungry, then you need to have a meal plan already laid out for you so you have something to work on when you get home, something to keep your mind off of that nastyness. And the other thing is to find food you enjoy that is healthy, if nighttime eating is your weakness, make sure you leave enough calories to eat something nice and filling (and nutritious) at night. Tough for temptation to take hold if you feel full and satisfied. If it's REALLY strong, keep a couple of energy bars in your car or backpack ( I like the Atkins one, even though I'm not a fan of the Atkins plan, because they are pretty high in protein and low in sugar and carbs, and carbs are my night terror), and eat one before you get home.

hope this helps!

-Banks
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    I have been dealing with this problem exactly. And it is not that you are hungry, its just stress or whatever from the day. What I did a couple days ago was go over the last 30 days of my food diary and added up all the overages i had. It was an eye opener. At 3500 cals to lose a pound, I could have lost almost 4 pounds if I had not went over. Since then, I have not went over my cals yet !!! You would be surprised how fast thos overages add up !:noway:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Water, water, water. Are you drinking 8 glasses a day? I try to drink 2 glasses in the morning, 2 around lunch, 2 around dinner, and 2 after dinner. That should fill you up a little.

Also, could you log your entire day in the morning or night before? That way, you know what you are eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and you could rearrange and subtract things so that you set aside calories for night-time snacking.

I would go shopping and try to buy healthy snacks. Baby carrots, some lower-calorie crackers, applesauce, etc. If you have healthy options, you will be less tempted to eat something else in the house. In fact, clear out the junk so it is not even there!

Also, could you ask those around you to help? Just talk to them and let them know that you really want to do this, but don't have a lot of willpower. If you are hanging out with friends, family, or your boyfriend, they might not eat Cheeto's in front of you, you know!
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    I have this same problem too! and it drives me nuts because i will eat even if i'm not hungry. but night is my time, the kids are in bed, hubby goes to work and i have the tv and can eat in peace!:wink: and i have the problem that i need to eat while watching tv! so some things that i hvae found to help are i try to leave enough cals for night, i try to burn a little extra if i know that i am going to eat something i shouldn't (like the weekends they always seem to get me!) and i have been trying to get better things to eat at night (like cereal for the sweet tooth the special k with chocolate is good) or soft pretzals, or chips and salsa aren't too bad (if you count out the right amount) i have now that i have been doing this longer it does get easier and once you start to see results it motivates you a little more! i started here about a month ago and have lost 3 inches (don't know lbs for sure i don't have a scale) probably could have lost more, but i'm still learning. also, i don't know how late you stay up or your exact situation, but i used to stay up later because my hubby works 11-7 so i felt i needed to get my time in. i found that the later i was up the more i snacked so i have started to go to bed earlier. if it is mindless eating you could try to do something else to distract you read, i play games on my cell phone or get on the computer! anyway, hopefully i have helped a little bit:smile: good luck!:heart: