Runner's Knee

Options
I know a few posts have been done on this topic, but searched and didn't find anyone with this diagnosis whose muscle also atrophied? The ortho made a face like "now isn't that odd" when he looked at my leg. The muscle if you are looking at my knee on the top right (lower quad) is completely gone. I've also noticed off and on what I would describe as nerve issues.
I am good about stretching. I was running about 10-15 miles per week and cross training.

I am now in PT. I feel like I'm going to murder someone as I have lost all mental benefits of working out. It's been a bad spiral since I the knee pain started (end of February). I drink and eat more, and work out less. I guess this is a venting session as much as a suggestion box. I am not in the gym doing yoga and strength training. I can't do elliptical or bike. Only walk and walking for me isn't helping the mental stuff.

I jogged for a couple minutes today with no pain, but I can definitely feel the weakness of my right leg. So, after that.. my question is, how long will it take to build a muscle back?