Intermittent Fasting...does this make sense??

Hello,

So I am doing intermittent fasting. Due to my schedule I cannot do the workout in the day time so this is what I do.

Finish eating by 8pm.
Go to the gym by 11pm-12am
Go to sleep
Wake up at 6am
break my fast at 1PM.

now traditionally..once stops eating say at 8PM and then go to sleep around 10-11pm, wake up and work out THEN break their fast...but in my case I work out at night itself...

is that still considered IF..is that even right

Replies

• ajamal9
    ajamal9 Posts: 15
    bump
  • Hey there,

I just started IF also, 3 weeks into my new eating habits. As far as I know, you seem to be fasting correctly. I'm using the same window you are, 16 hours fasted and 8 hours feeding. I don't believe your training schedule (day or night) affects your fast. I train in the morning (6am) and break my fast at 2pm and stop eating at 10pm. So, if you ask me, then you are fasting correctly.

That being said, I just finished a booked called 'the FastDiet' which is a totally different way of fasting. The author calls his method the 5:2 fast in which he eats normally for 5 days and fasts for 2 days. That being said, he eats 500-600 calories on his fast days. His fast days are split up also, Monday and Thursday.

In closing, I think you are still fasting correctly. 16/8 seems to be the starting point for most people fasting. You can play around with the length of your feeding window but 8hrs should be the maximum. I've come across a few people eating their daily calories in one meal. If I were to try that, I'm sure I would feel hungry before bed.

I hope this clears things up for you. Good luck, you'll do fine after the first week.

Gerry
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    There is some evidence to suggest that working out in a fasted state is very effective for weight loss, so this would usually be first thing in the morning. However, it's not an absolute requirement of IFing as IFing is all about food and not exercise.

The time you are working out is very late though and is not recommended so close to bed time as it affects sleep and you don't appear to be getting very much sleep as it is. This doesn't specifically affect intermittent fasting, but it will affect your weight loss efforts so I would really suggest finding another time to fit in exercise. If you are working in the day, try to get some walking in on lunch breaks or walk at some point on your way to or from work. Or leave working out for the weekend. Don't stress your body out so much. It needs that rest to repair and effectively burn fat and keep you functioning well!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hello,

So I am doing intermittent fasting. Due to my schedule I cannot do the workout in the day time so this is what I do.

Finish eating by 8pm.
    Go to the gym by 11pm-12am
    Go to sleep
    Wake up at 6am
    break my fast at 1PM.

now traditionally..once stops eating say at 8PM and then go to sleep around 10-11pm, wake up and work out THEN break their fast...but in my case I work out at night itself...

is that still considered IF..is that even right
    Yeah, that would be considered a 17 hour fast so if that is what you are going for you are on it, doesnt matter when they actually occur. I do 24 hour fasts, usually 6 or 7pm utnil 6 or 7 the next night. I love it as I dont go a full day without food even though it is technically 24 hours.

Once I got that through my skull it has been easy.