Need inspiration! (Squash and Pumpkin)

kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
edited September 21 in Recipes
So, I was in my local supermarket earlier today and I saw SO many different kinds of squash! They all look so pretty and interesting... But I have never, EVER cooked any kind of squash before. I'm trying to branch out and cook more things and seeing as I'm totally in the fall mindset (even though Florida weather isn't cooperating with that mindset :grumble:) I thought some squash recipes would be perfect!

I've seen a bunch of people give recipes on how to cook spaghetti squash, so I don't really need that one. :smile:

Also, I'm totally digging the pumpkin flavor right now. Does anybody have amazing pumpkin recipes where you can actually taste the pumpkin?? (So not that pumpkin + cake mix deal... I wanna taste it!!) I would LOVE a healthy(...healthier? :laugh:) pumpkin pie recipe to use this holiday season. But really... anything and everything pumpkin would be appreciated!

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    I love butternut squash. Peel it, halve it, remove the seeds, and cut into chunks. Spray it with cooking spray and add your choice of seasoning. This can be as simple as salt and pepper. My fave is herbes de Provence. Roast it at 375 until tender, about 35 minutes, depending on the size of the chunks. You should be able to find lots of versions of this recipe online. I like to add onion and let that roast with the squash.

If you have a lot leftover, you can puree' it with some ginger, garlic and onion, and thin it out with some fat-free chicken broth, and it will make a great soup. Hope this helps.

Go Gators!
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Thanks. Sounds yummy. I'm definitely gonna try that.
This discussion has been closed.