Punching bag

Options
Hi - So i like the idea of using a punching bag to burn off some calories and run of the mill frustration. Problem is after 2 hits my wrist are usually jacked up. do i have to be officially trained to do this without spraining something?The only thing i've done related to boxing is tae kwon do and that was only a few months - cut short due to pregnancy.

Any tips are appreciated.

Replies

• zumbalori
    zumbalori Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you wear gloves? I take 3 heavy bag classes a week at my gym and form really does matter. If you aren't hitting properly, your wrists will take the impact. If you can afford to grab a couple classes or get a tape maybe to work on your form, it would probably help tons. The classes I take are one hour each and my wrists don't hurt. However, I can "bing" them if I don't watch it, especially on the hooks.

Hope this helps!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you don't wear gloves, at least buy a set of wraps. You should be able to get them at a fitness store or where they offer classes. They work great, stabilize the wrist and protect the knuckles. I use them when I get a chance to use my free standing bag.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You will need gloves :) Would recommend getting some advice on technique as there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. Try a kickboxercise class as learning to kick is great as well and it really gets the HR up!
  • danacriley
    Options
    Great info. THank you guys for replying :happy: