Confusion about weight...

jsecret
jsecret Posts: 606 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
My weight seems to do something goofy and I don't quite understand it.... It will drop considerably then be up the next 5-7 days then drop again, never going over the previous drop.

Example:
Weight dropped to 196. The next week it bounced from 197 to 199 never hitting 200 but never going to the 196 again.
The next week it dropped to 194 then spent the week between 195 and 196, never going over 196 or down to 194 again.

I'm just confused.

Replies

• If you weigh every day, it is going to vary. I notice if I don't drink enough water one day, my weight is up the next day because I am retaining water... Or if I have a ton of sodium same thing. Just try to remember your weigh always will vary throughout the day too so if you aren't consistent about when you weigh that will effect it too!

Good luck!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    i have the same thing going on. My weight drops on say Thurs and Fri... and its back up by weigh in Monday. I've been kinda stuck around the same weight for a few weeks... very frustrating. I'm trying to stick with everything in hopes it'll eventually come off. :) good luck!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    After a lot of trying I will loose and gain and stay the same. Then suddenly I will drop. I have a bit of lower weight, then it zig zags again or won't go down, then it drops. Sometimes it's because I exercised a lot it goes up for a day or so, or if I have a lot of salt.

Overall it's going down. Weighing every day is not helpful, but I can't help but look every day. I do the same time every day.

Just keep doing what you know is right. Measure yourself at many places and once a month or so check for that progress, too.
  • My guess is water weight.. drinktons of water!! :drinker:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Happens to me too... It's generally bloat for me.
    As everyone else suggested you need to be consistent when you weigh (time of day, clothes or lack thereof & events proceeding). I'm probably one of the few people who can honestly say I don't weigh everyday and this is the reason. I get discouraged when the number bounces back up. I might weigh twice a week but I make sure that I've had PLENTY of water and minimal sodium in the 2 days leading up to the weigh in. ALSO I have learned my drop comes after a rest day- something about your body hanging on to weight/water after you've pushed it really hard. Don't stress it. Take the lower number and forget what happens in between. :bigsmile:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    I have the same problem and I think the ladies are right about the water. I dont drink enough water and I retain water. So time to start jugguing the water. I'm tired of looking like the rinkled bed sheet when I get up.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    I drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day, I keep track personally through out the day to make sure.
    I weigh in every morning as soon as I get up after I've gone to the bathroom and I weigh in totally naked as well.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Salt, salt, salt. Sodium, sodium, sodium.

Get rid of that and everything will fall into place.

This is why people on South Beach and a bunch of those other diets lose a truckload of weight the first two weeks. They're getting off the processed, refined junk and eating whole foods, with little or no processing. Once they get into Phase II or III, the weight loss is less dramatic because they've gotten past the water weight and now working on fat.

Ever notice that rings on your fingers feel "tight" one day and loose the next? It's salt, babe. It's great in cooking because it releases so many flavors, because it allows meat and poultry to retain water (moisture) during cooking, and it's just delicious. But read your labels and you'll be floored. Zero-calorie drinks are LOADED with sodium; carbonation equals salt; low-fat deli meats are "cured" in you guessed it. Salt!

I love, love, love seafood and even that I rinse like a nut case to flush some of the salts out.

But just as a beautiful roast needs good salt to remain moist, your body will remain moist if you take in that stuff.

Hope this helps.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    OK I'm going to give you some advise..One thing I noticed when I checked out your diary is what you eat...You have to change your diet NUMBER ONE..If you keep eating the way your eating it will always be a battle...Second do you workout or go to a gym?Need to know before I can go on..thanks
This discussion has been closed.